The Brave New World of Infrastructure Unsolicited Proposals in Canada
June 23, 2021
Time of event
Join McCarthy Tétrault’s Procurement Group for a discussion on the emergence of provincial frameworks to accept unsolicited proposals (USPs) for infrastructure.
In October 2019 Ontario launched the Province’s first USP framework. In December 2020 Alberta launched its own USP framework. These frameworks provide Canadian infrastructure developers and investors an unprecedented opportunity to bring forward exciting new ideas to help shape Canada’s infrastructure landscape for decades to come.
USP Frameworks are a relatively new concept in Canada, so naturally we expect them to raise many questions. What exactly is a USP? How do the Provincial USP frameworks work? What goals are governments seeking to achieve with USP frameworks? What lessons have been learned from global experience with USPs? How do USP frameworks navigate our international treaty obligations regarding public procurement? Which procurement models are suitable for unsolicited proposals procurement?
McCarthy Tétrault has assembled two panel discussions to address these and other questions about USPs. In the first panel we will hear from the two Ministers of Infrastructure leading their respective province’s USP frameworks, the Honourable Laurie Scott from Ontario, and the Honourable Prasad Panda from Alberta. In the second panel we will consider the legal and commercial considerations of these questions in greater detail through a discussion with practitioners from McCarthy Tétrault’s procurement and infrastructure teams, as well as representatives of the academic and private-sector infrastructure fields.
We will welcome audience questions in both panels.
- The Honourable Laurie Scott, Minister of Infrastructure, Legislative Assembly of Ontario
- The Honourable Prasad Panda, Minister of Infrastructure, Government of Alberta
- Catherine Samuel, Partner, McCarthy Tétrault LLP, Calgary
- Brad Nicpon, Partner, McCarthy Tétrault LLP, Toronto
- Robert Glasgow, Partner, McCarthy Tétrault LLP, Toronto
- Sherena Hussain, Academic Director, Sustainable Infrastructure Fellowship Program, York University
- Lawren Green, Senior Vice President, Kiewit Development Company
- Julie Parla, Partner, McCarthy Tétrault LLP, Toronto
This program qualifies for up to 1.5 hours of CPD credit under the mandatory education regimes in British Columbia and Ontario.
To register and for questions about this seminar, please contact [email protected].
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. (ET)
10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. (MT)
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (PT)