October 13, 2022
Time of event
Join McCarthy Tétrault’s National Appellate Litigation Group as we discuss appeals of importance to the Canadian business community during the last quarter. Each session brings you up-to-date on recent appellate developments across Canada. Topics to be discussed this quarter include:
- Supreme Court of Canada: Appointment of Justice Michelle O’Bonsawin
- Federal: Statutory appeal routes constrain the scope of judicial review under section 18.5 of the Federal Courts Act
- Ontario/Atlantic: Court of Appeal for Ontario upholds the first merits decision in a securities class action for secondary market misrepresentation
- Quebec: How much knowledge of fraud is sufficient to overcome the requirement to honour a letter of credit?
- Western Canada: Interpreting the requirement of “commercially reasonable best efforts” in a contract
Speakers include: Adam Goldenberg, James Holtom, Kara Smyth, Christine Wadsworth, Sarah Woods
This program qualifies for up to 1.5 hours of CPD credit under the mandatory education regimes in British Columbia and Ontario.
Barreau du Québec Continuing Education: This program contains 1.5 hours of content. For more information regarding the declaration and recognition of educational activities, please contact the Barreau du Québec.
For questions about this seminar, please contact [email protected].
1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. (ET)
11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (MT)
10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. (PT)