5th Edition Defending Class Actions in Canada Book Launch
February 20, 2020
Time of event
Our “Defending Class Actions in Canada” is now in its 5th edition! Join a panel of our class actions experts, each a contributing author to this new edition, to learn about the procedural machinery of Canadian class actions and the law that governs them. Our panel will provide strategic analysis on managing the risks class actions entail and explain the most important recent class action developments and trends on a national and international scale. Attendees will also receive a copy of our book as a special gift.
Our panel will address some of the topics addressed in this new edition, including:
- Certification and settlement trends
- Third-party Funding
- Legislative changes
- Global Classes and Absent Foreign Claimants including commentary on the Airia Brands test and Forum Non Conveniens
- Discussion of trends in various areas of significant class action activity in Canada, including:
- Data breach related class actions
- Mass tort claims including for torts occurring outside of Canada, with reference to Das v. George Weston Limited
- Competition Claims and “umbrella purchasers” with reference to Godfrey v. Sony Corp.
- Financial Services Related Claims
- Misclassification of Employees as Independent Contractors and Workplace Harassment and Discrimination
Note: The presentation will take place in our Toronto office and will be given in English only. For those participants who cannot join us in person, we are offering this program via webinar. If you are interested in this alternative, please select the appropriate option during the online registration process. All instructions and information on how to access the webinar will be forwarded a few days before the event
For questions about this seminar, please contact [email protected].