Cross-Border – Navigating Canadian Employment Law Guidebook
While U.S., European and Canadian employment laws are often similar, there are important differences involved in managing employees in Canadian workplaces that U.S. and international companies need to know about to successfully do business in Canada.
Our recently updated Cross-Border – Navigating Canadian Employment Law Guidebook breaks down the key differences between Canadian and U.S. labour and employment laws to help you avoid missteps in navigating local labour, employment and human resources issues.
Although primarily designed with the U.S. attorney and HR practitioner in mind, the guide is equally helpful to European and other international lawyers and HR professionals seeking to understand Canadian employment law. This resource offers clear and easy-to-understand information on the following topics:
- 10 key differences between Canadian and U.S. employment law
- employment law considerations when operating a business in Canada
- hiring employees
- retaining and managing employees
- departing employees
- remaining union free
- unique aspects in Québec
- executive employment north of the border
- HR issues when buying and selling your Canadian business
- three key issues to consider in your Canadian workplaces (privacy, alcohol and drug testing, and class action lawsuits)
Cross-Border Employment 2022
Order a hardcopy of our updated Cross-Border – Navigating Canadian Employment Law Guidebook, or
Download our updated Cross-Border – Navigating Canadian Employment Law Guidebook.
We encourage you to consult one of our lawyers in the Labour and Employment Group about any specific legal issue or concern you may have.
McCarthy Tétrault helps you address employment issues before they become problems. We have some of the country’s top legal talent who are at the forefront of new developments in employment practices, policies and laws. You can rely on us to provide guidance on human resources strategies and help you stay on top of employment and labour challenges that can affect your business. Our labour and employment lawyers advise on employment issues and all areas of labour relations and labour law, at both the provincial and federal levels. We also have extensive experience in related workplace issues, such as human rights, pay equity, pensions and benefits, occupational health and safety and workplace safety and insurance. Learn more about our Chambers Canada Band 1-ranked Labour and Employment Group.
About McCarthy Tétrault
McCarthy Tétrault LLP provides a broad range of legal services, providing strategic and industry-focused advice and solutions for Canadian and international interests. The Firm has substantial presence in Canada’s major commercial centres as well as in New York City and London.
Built on an integrated approach to the practice of law and delivery of innovative client services, the Firm brings its legal talent, industry insight and practice experience to help clients achieve the results that are important to them.
– 30 –
For further information on McCarthy Tétrault or any of the above, please contact [email protected].
Check out some of our other cross-border resources:
- Cross-Border: A Retailer’s Guide to Doing Business in Canada 2021 Edition
- Cross-Border: A Consumer Products Industry Guide to Doing Business in Canada 2021 Edition
- Cross-Border Securitization Transactions between Canada and the U.S. – Key Legal Considerations
- Cross-Border M&A: Top 10 Considerations for U.S. Acquirers of Canadian Targets
- Climate Change Essentials: Navigating Carbon Pricing Mechanisms and Guide to Canadian Federal and Provincial Regulatory Frameworks
- Key Takeaways on Budget 2022: A Must-Read for Doing Business in Canada
- Doing Business in Canada
- The New Normal: A Roadmap for Business Leaders in a COVID-Continued World