Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law: A New Edition
Format: Soft Cover
Price: $175 CDN
Toronto, February 21, 2012 — McCarthy Tétrault is pleased to announce the publication of the second edition of Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law . Authored by Geoff R. Hall, a senior commercial litigator at McCarthy Tétrault and a University of Toronto adjunct professor who teaches contractual interpretation, the book is the only text focused on contractual interpretation under Canadian common law. The new edition also includes commentary on contractual interpretation under Quebec civil law.
Offering highly specialized information that readers will not find elsewhere, Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law, Second Edition is a must-read for commercial lawyers who, as private practitioners or in-house counsel, are responsible for drafting contracts; litigators who deal with contractual interpretation disputes; and judges and arbitrators who hear such cases. The book provides insight and clarity on:
- principles of contractual interpretation under Canadian common law and Quebec civil law,
- how contractual provisions are interpreted by courts and
- how to draft contracts that reflect stakeholders' intentions and objectives.
New features in the second edition include the following:
- the new test for the interpretation and application of exclusion clauses set out by the Supreme Court of Canada in Tercon Contractors Ltd. v. B.C. (Transportation and Highways)
- developments in the standard of appellate review of contractual interpretation issues
- developments in the law of rectification
- developments in the interpretation of pension plans
- developments in the interpretation of rights of first refusal
Since its first publication in 2007, Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law has been cited more than 60 times by courts across the country, including three times by the Supreme Court of Canada. It is published by LexisNexis and is available for purchase here.
About McCarthy Tétrault
McCarthy Tétrault provides a broad range of legal services, advising on large and complex assignments for Canadian and international interests. The firm has substantial presence in Canada's major commercial centres and in London, UK.
Built on a unique model of collaboration, the firm brings its legal talent, industry knowledge and practice experience, wherever needed, to help clients achieve the results that are important to them.