Amendments to the "Utilities Commission Act" Empower BC Utilities Commission
The BC government introduced B.C. Reg. 316/2012 on November 9, 2012, bringing into force amendments to the Utilities Commission Act (the Act) made under the Energy and Mines Statutes Amendment Act, 2012 (the Amendments).
- determine, after a hearing, a person has contravened the Act or an order of the BCUC;
- impose a fine of up to $1 million per day for every day a party contravenes the Act or BCUC order;
- publicize the penalties and reasons for imposing the penalty;
- compel refunds if an underlying contract is declared unenforceable; and
- prohibit offenders from passing penalties onto consumers as a cost of service.
The Amendments harmonize BC with other similar Canadian and U.S. commissions.
administrative penalty regime BC Utilities Commission Energy and Mines Statutes Amendment Act natural gas marketer Utilities Commission Act utility