McCarthy Tétrault Labour and Employment Group Welcomes Kirsten Hume
We are very happy to announce that Kirsten Hume has joined McCarthy Tétrault's Vancouver office as counsel in its Labour and Employment group.
Kirsten has a wealth of experience practicing Labour and Employment law and has advised and represented employers on a wide range of employment-related matters, including:
- disability, accommodation and related human rights issues, and defending employers from human rights complaints;
- dismissal of employees, with and without just cause, and representing employers in actions for wrongful and constructive dismissal;
- drafting and preparation of employment agreements, policies and other workplace documents;
- complex jurisdictional issues related to long-term disability and other benefits provided in accordance with collective agreements;
- medical arbitration, litigation and labour relations board applications related to disability benefit entitlement under trusts and collective agreements;
- workers’ compensation issues such as fraudulent claims, changes in industry classification and bullying and harassment;
- injunctions and contempt rulings restraining illegal conduct in labour disputes; and
- workplace investigations into allegations of harassment and defamation.
Kirsten is a regular speaker at industry and continuing legal education conferences, and is co-author of “An Employer’s Guide to Dismissal” (Canada Law Book, 2007) and the periodical “IMPACT Labour Law & Management Practices” (Canada Law Book, 2010-2014).
Kirsten received a BA from the University of Queensland, Australia in 1994 and her LLB from the University of British Columbia in 1998, and was called to the British Columbia bar in 1999.
Please join us in welcoming Kirsten to McCarthy Tétrault's Vancouver L&E group and stay tuned for her contributions to our various publications and other initiatives.