McCarthy Tétrault has a long-held organizational commitment to diversity and inclusion.
We were the first Canadian law firm to appoint a Chief Inclusion Officer, and have been named one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers six years running.
Similarly, our firm is a leader in community engagement, with a robust pro bono program, active participation by our people in volunteer activities, and a commitment to investing in our community through the McCarthy Tétrault Foundation. In this vein, we were the first Canadian law firm to appoint a Chief Community Officer.
While we are proud of the progress we have made over the years, we know there is more we can do. To that end, we have launched the McCarthy Tétrault INCLUSION NOW Initiative.
INCLUSION NOW is McCarthy Tétrault’s renewed commitment to our workplace, our clients and our communities. It is a progressive, multi-faceted strategy designed to ensure that the values of diversity, inclusion and social responsibility inform every aspect of who we are as a firm, and what we do. And it is our deliberate, focused commitment to recruiting diverse talent, fostering an inclusive workplace, and giving back to our community.
Over the next five years, the McCarthy Tétrault INCLUSION NOW Initiative will involve the following commitments intended to accelerate our diversity, inclusion and social impact both internally and externally:
- We have hired a senior professional to lead INCLUSION NOW. A first-of-its-kind in the Canadian legal profession, McCarthy Tétrault has kicked off our INCLUSION NOW program by hiring a Senior Director, Inclusion and Community Engagement. By combining inclusion and social responsibility into one priority portfolio, we recognize our social responsibility to our people and to the larger society within which we operate. Appointing a full-time, senior leader to develop and guide this strategy will ensure that McCarthy Tétrault is able to take our corporate citizenship to the next level.
- Recruit and promote diverse talent. McCarthy Tétrault is committed to a workplace that represents the diversity of our country, including at the highest levels. We believe in celebrating difference for difference’s sake, and we know that diversity drives innovation and excellence. As part of INCLUSION NOW, McCarthy Tétrault will set ambitious but realistic goals for the firm, and report on these goals so that we are accountable for our results. We will achieve our objectives by building on our existing policies and programs, and developing new ones designed to meet our targets.
- Enhance our firm culture. At McCarthy Tétrault, we know numbers are not enough. We’ve deepened our thinking about diversity to embrace something far more encompassing – inclusion. Over the next five years we will work to identify and break down barriers, both conscious or systemic, and ensure all of our people feel valued for the different ideas, backgrounds and perspectives they bring to the table. We will develop concrete initiatives to continue to build a workplace where everyone is treated fairly and respectfully, has equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to the firm’s success.
- Invest in our communities. McCarthy Tétrault understands that exercising our corporate responsibility involves looking beyond the walls of our offices, to deepen our commitment to our local communities. In another first-of-its-kind in the legal profession, McCarthy Tétrault has pledged $5 million dollars over five years to United Way Centraide. Our gift will be directed to agencies and programs in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montréal and Québec City that are having the greatest impact in supporting five equity-seeking groups: women, Indigenous peoples, newcomers to Canada, members of LGBTQ2S+ communities, and people with disabilities. We know that individuals from these communities face barriers to full participation in Canadian society, and that these barriers are further amplified when people are living in poverty. This gift is intended to help support these communities, and inspire others to do the same.
- Impact the culture beyond our firm. McCarthy Tétrault plans to follow up our financial gift to United Way Centraide with the investment of our time, mobilizing and leveraging the full range of our resources to support these agencies and communities. Depending on need, this might include the delivery of pro bono services to the agencies or their clients, contributions to governance, and volunteer efforts. Our goal is to engage members of the firm to contribute in any way that they can. Making a year-round investment in the agencies and communities we have identified will allow us to enhance and accelerate the impact of our gift, and build meaningful relationships in the community.
INCLUSION NOW is McCarthy Tétrault’s commitment to our people, to our clients, and to our neighbours. It is a strategy and a program that will evolve over the next five years as we consult with our stakeholders and learn from new voices and perspectives. We invite you to follow our progress as we work to bring this vision to life.