Diversity and inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are part of who we are as a firm. Diversity is one of the firm’s strategic priorities and a business imperative, and we were the first Canadian law firm to appoint a Chief Inclusion Officer in 2013. Only by promoting an inclusive work environment that inspires people to be their best can we attract the brightest talent from across Canada and around the world. It is our people and our clients that encourage us to continue turning diversity and inclusion into drivers for innovation and success.
Diversity and inclusion are about championing an individual’s unique strengths and promoting an environment that values their perspectives and abilities. Our diverse workplace:
- Encourages talented and committed people to realize their full potential without unnecessary barriers to success;
- Cultivates a culture that celebrates our differences and the diversity of backgrounds and perspectives that we bring; and
- Elevates our best and brightest talent to leadership positions within the firm and the legal industry.
We are also committed to championing diversity and inclusion in the profession. McCarthy Tétrault is a founding employer partner of the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, a research and advocacy organization that tracks Canadian demographics and works with businesses to translate diversity into inclusion. We are a corporate partner of Pride at Work Canada – one of the first Canadian law firms to join – promoting the professional development and mentoring of LGBTQ professionals. We are also committed to achieving gender equality with a raft of industry-leading initiatives that will help support our women leaders, including:
- Being the first law firm in Canada to sign the Catalyst Accord, which aims to increase the overall FP500 board seats held by women to 25% before 2017; currently, women represent 40% of our board members.
- Sponsoring the Rotman School of Management’s Business Leadership for Women Lawyers program and the Judy Project, two of Canada’s premier executive forums in support of women’s leadership advancement.
- Offering our innovative Parental Support Program, recognized by Catalyst Canada, and by Canada’s Top 100 Employers, as a best practice initiative that assists new parents at McCarthy Tétrault in balancing their careers with building a family.
McCarthy Tétrault is committed to promoting an inclusive workplace that welcomes people from diverse backgrounds and abilities. We support a number of programs and initiatives:
- We have partnered with the Martin Family Initiative (MFI) to create the McCarthy Tétrault & MFI Mentorship Program for Indigenous Students. A first of its kind in Canada, the program links McCarthy Tétrault lawyers as mentors with Indigenous students in Grades 8 through 12. We also partner with Indigenous leaders and education authorities to enhance Indigenous education in Canada.
- We provide internship opportunities through the University of Toronto Faculty of Law’s Internationally Trained Lawyers Program. These foreign-trained lawyers seeking accreditation before the various Canadian law societies are given the opportunity to enter the Canadian legal market at a top-tier national law firm and bring their valuable expertise from abroad to benefit our clients.
- We are a founding member of Ascend Canada, a non-profit organization promoting Pan-Asian leadership in corporate Canada.
- We were the exclusive National Law Firm Partner of the Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (FACL) for a number of years, and we are currently the Preferred Partner in Diversity of FACL’s BC Chapter.
- We are a sponsor and Board member of the South Asian Bar Association.