At McCarthy Tétrault we know that our continued success, and that of our clients, is as much a product of the communities that support us, as it is the hard work of our dedicated professionals. To recognise this, the firm established the McCarthy Tétrault Foundation in 1997 to make our charitable endeavours a key focus of the firm’s overall commitment to corporate social responsibility.
Giving back to our communities is also one of the ways in which we celebrate our people and the diversity that makes our firm stronger. We give because it’s in the very fabric of our firm’s identity to care for our communities and the individuals who live within them.
This commitment to community also puts us in a position to better serve our clients. The projects and matters that our clients work on range from the small but impactful to the game changing endeavours that put Canada on the map. Knowing what’s happening in the communities in which our clients do business helps us advise them on every aspect of their business needs and ensures that all stakeholders come away satisfied and excited with the work that has been done.
Under two broad categories, the McCarthy Tétrault Foundation has committed to giving back through:
- Local charitable causes; and
- Supporting law schools across Canada.
The Foundation is overseen by a regionally diverse board of directors composed of McCarthy Tétrault’s best and brightest. Its goals are to:
- deliver on our obligations as a major player in the Canadian legal and economic landscape
- give back to the communities in which we live and work
- recognize the significant contribution that Canadian law schools make to our success in a way that supports our recruitment efforts to continually attract the most skillful and promising students
- coordinate our giving program such that the objectives of the firm and our donations in all regions are appropriately aligned
To date, the Foundation has supported over 160 Canadian organizations and institutions with more than $15 million given to hospitals, local charities, food banks, youth and cultural programs, arts organizations and law schools.