In addition to performance evaluations that take place at regular intervals during the summer or articling term, as applicable, you will be encouraged to discuss any aspect of your articles with your mentor and other lawyers in the firm and to seek constructive feedback on your professional development. We also expect you to tell us whether the firm is providing you with work and experience consistent with your expectations.
Feedback is a critical investment in your growth and success. Training our lawyers in delivering feedback has been a priority. We also work with our students on their development by encouraging them to ask for feedback, and acting on that feedback.
What you can expect from us
- Opportunities to access a wide variety of work from our five leading core practice areas and to work alongside the leaders in each of these areas. From assisting with corporate transactions for the world’s leading technology companies, to representing doctors in professional liability cases, to assisting with work for the five major Canadian banks.
- Unparalleled commitment by our National Student Program to deliver the most thoughtful, innovative and comprehensive student program tailored to maximizing the professional development of our students.
- Industry leading mentoring and feedback practices. Providing guidance to help you become an effective mentee and facilitating your mentoring relationships.
- Collaborative team-based work environment in which our lawyers actively involve our students in everything from liaising with the clients, collaborating on due diligence teams, drafting transactional documents and advocacy materials, to leading pro bono files and attending client meetings.
- A variety of social and community events to help students bond with one another, integrate into the firm, and expand their network within the firm. It also allows our lawyers to get to better know students.
What we can expect from you
- Students and lawyers that are highly engaged and demonstrate a passion for their work and for servicing clients.
- Students who are interested in learning about our clients’ businesses and who enjoy the challenge of stretching their skills through exciting and dynamic work opportunities.
- Students who are strong team-players and thrive working in a team-based environment. Collaboration is key at all levels.
- Can-do attitude is a must. Our clients want solutions and expect the highest level of service from members of our firm.
- Leadership and pro-activity. We offer a wealth of learning and professional development opportunities. We also encourage our students to actively seek out work that interests them and to take on leadership opportunities where appropriate.
- Students who are open to feedback and relish the opportunity to improve their skills. Everyone has things that they can develop and improve. Even our senior leadership members have received 360 degree feedback at our firm!