Supervisor, Conference Services (8-month contract)
September 09, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Toronto. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a Supervisor, Conference Services, you will be:
- Supervising the coordination of all aspects of client and internal meetings, events, activities, visitor management and security for the McCarthy Tétrault Conference Centres, including
- Act as first point of escalation for internal and external clients related to attendance at the Conference Centres.
- Ensuring all documentation, including Meeting and Event Summaries, security sign in, catering orders and all other meeting/event related documents are completed.
- Ensure all activities related to meeting or events are executed according to plan, being proactive and raising issues as required.
- Coordinates the requirements of the Conference Centres with the kitchen and catering personnel.
- Liaises with Facilities about the general maintenance and safety procedures of the Conference Centres.
- Oversee the delivery and assist in defining the service offerings in the conference centres in a specific region.
- Works with the outsourced teams and Events Manager, Conference Services to ensure successful planning, execution and review of all events.
- Collaborating with events team to maintain a network of internal and external contacts (e.g. caterers, restaurants, equipment rentals, suppliers for specialty linens and other event-related incidentals).
- Work in partnership with the Manager, Conference Services to manage and control all operating expenses and to prepare weekly and monthly summary reports.
- Overseeing the smooth operation of all bookings nationally through the management of the front line team members, and providing support and backup when necessary.
- Preparing team staffing schedules and allocating resources to maintain reception coverage for short-term needs Reporting unusual requirements, recommendations or resolutions to the Manager, Conference Services.
- Managing the performance of direct reports and providing continual feedback on outsourced employees at the Firm.
- Ensuring the ongoing development of team members’ skills to ensure functional and Firm objectives are met.
- Managing all aspects of recruitment, selection, performance management (including goal setting), compensation and development for direct reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- High school diploma. Post-secondary diploma or certificate in a hospitality/tourism management or business administration program preferred.
- Three to five years of related experience, preferably in a professional services environment.
- Two to three years’ experience in a supervisory position is preferred.
- Good understanding of events and conference services.
- Excellent computer proficiency. and possess good ability to learn new internal systems and software and coach others on same.
- Proven ability to multi-task while demonstrating composure and to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the Firm, in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and telephone manners, with a strong professional demeanour.
- Highly developed problem solving, decision making, conflict management and negotiation skills, including the ability to successfully resolve performance and disciplinary issues.
- Confidence in making day-to-day decisions and judgement to know when to escalate and seek Manager’s input or assistance.
- Ability to handle confidential information and exercise discretion in dealing with staff and/or sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated ability to develop team capabilities and cohesiveness through coaching and mentoring.
- Excellent communications skills in English (verbal and written) are required.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate nights, weekends and public holidays as business dictates.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Competitive compensation including paid overtime.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected] We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.