ServiceNow System Administrator (IT)
September 20, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Montreal, Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a ServiceNow System Administrator (IT), you will be:
- Supporting the Director, Applications in the administration and operation of the ServiceNow platform. Administration and operation includes:
- Implement platform upgrades, application upgrades, review skipped changes, coordinate testing with stakeholders, and maintain data between ServiceNow and external systems.
- Day to day administration including updates to users, groups and roles ensuring conformation to access management governance of the platform.
- Monitor health, performance, usage, and security, and create reports and dashboards for operational support as well as for other business units as requested.
- Provide technical support and mentorship to platform stakeholders.
- Provide first, second, third tier technical support to identify and resolve issues, answer questions and provide additional training as needed.
- Build and maintain internal technical documentation, governance manuals, policies, and processes.
- Work with ServiceNow account and support teams on P1 tickets or other platform issues and capabilities.
- Work with external vendors and contractors that develop and build on the ServiceNow platform to coordinate development and deployment activities, and ensure solution development lifecycle best practices and governance are adhered to.
- Own and lead troubleshoot issues identifying root cause and work with developers / architect to address issues in a timely manner as required.
- Develop fix scripts and other basic DevOps work to resolve data quality issues.
- Understand and adhere to update set methodology and how it pertains to tracking and deploying fixes and enhancements.
- Ensuring operational integrity of core application tools/technologies is maintained.
- Supporting the Director, Applications in the operationalization of the ServiceNow development practice. Operationalization of the development practice includes:
- Developing and maintaining application development standards and procedures.
- Plan and execute system cloning as part of system administration and application release and deployment processes.
- Plan and execute application deployment and scripting.
- Supporting the Director, Applications in the administration and operation of the application portfolio life cycle. The Application portfolio life cycle entails the development, maintenance (including break fix and patching), refreshes, and end of life decommissioning of the application portfolio, which includes business applications and end user computing (e.g. desktop/laptop/mobile device) software.
- Designing, building and maintaining applications in accordance to systems development life cycle while ensuring applications functions are designed / configured to meet business requirements; tested in accordance to the testing methodology; performed in accordance to operating requirements; deployed to meet service/operating/compliance requirements; maintained & operated in compliance to IT policies and procedures.
- Ensuring documentation is developed, maintained; and knowledge is transferred among IT stakeholders.
- Providing advice and recommendations to the Director, Applications on opportunities to improve performance / capacity and to mitigate risk of application services.
- Providing day to day operation of applications services in accordance to ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) practices, which include incident management, problem management, release management, change management, etc.
- Participating in work teams with stakeholders in IT, Project Management Office (PMO), vendors, and other business practice groups from an application development life cycle perspective. This includes soliciting input and working with IT Security to ensure compliance to security policy and requirements.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Must have ServiceNow Certified System Administrator.
- University degree or equivalent in Information Technology.
- Minimum of seven years of information technology experience, 3 years of which in a ServiceNow System Administration and or development role.
- Possess broad range of technical/application knowledge (business, middleware, end user computing software, SaaS, PaaS, networking, security,etc).
- Experience and ability in the conceptualization, design, and implementation of application technology initiatives.
- Possess practical ITIL experience, certification is an asset.
- Demonstrate business acumen and experience in managing business relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience with a professional service organization’s structure and processes would be an asset.
- Ability to exercise strategic thinking and problem solving skills in managing complex situations.
- Ability to advocate strategic initiatives, and exert constructive influence with stakeholders.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent pieces of work, and appropriately applying judgment about the prioritization of effort.
- Capacity to handle high pressure situations and tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational, work management and time-management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Job Knowledge: Ability to acquire, apply and maintain a body of knowledge related to the field.
- Effective use of Technology: Exceptional computer knowledge and ability to keep up-to-date with changes in technology and latest information.
- In-depth knowledge of ServiceNow System Administration.
- In-depth knowledge of ServiceNow development concepts.
- In depth knowledge of Application System Development Life Cycle.
- In-depth knowledge of relational database engine technology.
- Knowledge of Application Development standards.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory and Azure AD.
- Knowledge and experience with remote access technologies including Citrix, VPN, Windows Terminal Services.
- Knowledge of VB, VBA Java Script, HTML and XML and other programming languages.
- Knowledge of API concepts and REST web services.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.