Manager, Paraprofessionals (Business Law)
January 13, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the tenth consecutive year in 2022, as well as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As a Manager, Paraprofessionals (Business Law), you will be:
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with business law lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants and external clients.
- Ensuring compliance with Firm procedures, policies and precedents relating to paraprofessional services at all times.
- Monitoring and updating vacation schedule and reporting on absences of team. Ensuring that coverage is in place.
- Managing all direct and indirect reports which includes: Coaching and development, performance, hiring, disciplinary and terminations.
- Training and continuing education of new and existing business law paraprofessionals. Mentoring and guiding business law paraprofessionals with their workload and responsibilities.
- Holding regular meetings with business law paraprofessionals to review issues, training requirements, workloads. Escalating issues pursuant to reporting structure, as appropriate.
- Meeting with lawyers with respect to any performance issues relating to the business law paraprofessionals. Escalating any performance issues pursuant to reporting structure, as appropriate.
- Performing regional and national project work, leading and co-ordinating or participating in projects, as assigned. Leading innovation initiatives in the region.
- Promoting a positive and respectful work environment aligned with firm values.
Business Law Paraprofessional Duties:
- Providing independent professional support services, including assistance with complex transactions.
- Preparing and drafting various corporation documents.
- Maintaining integrity of Corporate Database and all record keeping systems.
- Keeping current on changes in legislation and government policy and informing others as appropriate.
- Ensuring quality and accuracy of work, and ensuring work is completed within reasonable time frame.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- College Degree/Certificate in Paralegal studies or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in business law with a depth of experience in independently handling complex corporate transactions.
- Strong people management skills, ability to handle multiple tasks, set schedules and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop direct reports.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of business and legal terminology.
- Capacity to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external clients.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Prior leadership/supervisory experience is an asset.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
Please note that, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from McCarthy Tétrault will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. McCarthy Tétrault will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to health or other grounds.