Manager, Paraprofessionals (Business Law)
July 14, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As a Manager, Paraprofessionals (Business Law), you will be:
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with business law lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants and external clients.
- Ensuring compliance with Firm procedures, policies and precedents relating to paraprofessional services at all times.
- Monitoring and updating vacation schedule and reporting on absences of team. Ensuring that coverage is in place.
- Managing all direct and indirect reports which includes: Coaching and development, performance, hiring, disciplinary and terminations.
- Training and continuing education of new and existing business law paraprofessionals. Mentoring and guiding business law paraprofessionals with their workload and responsibilities.
- Holding regular meetings with business law paraprofessionals to review issues, training requirements, workloads. Escalating issues pursuant to reporting structure, as appropriate.
- Meeting with lawyers with respect to any performance issues relating to the business law paraprofessionals. Escalating any performance issues pursuant to reporting structure, as appropriate.
- Performing regional and national project work, leading and coordinating or participating in projects, as assigned. Leading innovation initiatives in the region.
- Promoting a positive and respectful work environment aligned with firm values.
Business Law Paraprofessional Duties:
- Providing independent professional support services, including assistance with complex transactions.
- Preparing and drafting various corporation documents, including:
- Documents and articles relating to corporate reorganizations.
- Documents and articles relating to asset/share purchase and sale transactions.
- Documents relating to non-corporate entities, such as partnerships and not-for-profit corporations.
- Maintaining integrity of Corporate Database and all record keeping systems.
- Keeping current on changes in legislation and government policy and informing others as appropriate.
- Ensuring quality and accuracy of work, and ensuring work is completed within reasonable time frame.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Fluent English and French written and oral communication skills.
- College Degree/Certificate in Paralegal studies or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in business law with a depth of experience in independently handling complex corporate transactions.
- Strong people management skills, ability to handle multiple tasks, set schedules and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop direct reports.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of business and legal terminology.
- Capacity to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external clients.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Prior leadership/supervisory experience is an asset.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.