Manager, Marketing Communications and Public Relations
January 30, 2019
- Working in collaboration with other members of the Clients & Markets team to bring marketing creativity, communications expertise and strategic planning to a variety of strategic communications projects and BAU initiatives.
- In addition to Brand, Reputation and Public/Media Relations and Directories & Awards responsibilities described below, work on other communications as required, including lateral hire communications, firm-wide announcements, client communications, social media and digital marketing.
Brand, Reputation and Public/Media Relations
- In close collaboration with Clients & Markets leaders, firm leadership team, board and external agency with firm-wide issues management from a strategic relationship standpoint.
- Contributing to firm brand messaging refresh in support of firm strategy. Participating on brand messaging updates, developing value propositions and disseminating same through a variety of communication channels.
- Working with lawyers and the Clients and Markets team to develop effective story ideas and pitches for business and legal media based on firm’s strategic objectives. Identifying key media outlets and maintaining relationships with important journalists and commentators.
- Working closely with Specialist, Clients and Markets (Communications) in Québec to ensure unified approach with English and French media and leveraging resources and content effectively across the country.
- Researching and writing interview preparation materials for spokespeople including messaging, backgrounders and Q&A documents as well as providing interview coaching and media training sessions as necessary.
- Working with other members of the Clients and Markets team to integrate social media into the firm's PR and media endeavours.
- Managing external thought leadership opportunities, including determining appropriate opportunities, developing pitches and editing content as necessary.
- Staying informed about PR best practices and trends as well as the competitive landscape to continually enhance our PR strategy.
- Writing press releases, announcements, etc. or preparing effective briefs for external writers and overseeing process.
Communications relating to Awards, Market Recognition and Ranking Programs
- Leading the implementation of strategic efforts regarding maintaining and improving McCarthy Tétrault’s reputation through the evaluation and participation in awards, rankings and other external recognitions.
- Directing and implementing reviews and recommendations related to awards and other recognition opportunities, ensuring brand consistency and evaluating reputational impact of win.
- Working closely with practice and industry leaders to prepare (research and write) or supervise the development of persuasive firm, lawyer and client submissions to leading industry ranking and award organizations.
- Leading communications through the directories and awards lifecycle, including creating, updating and enhancing, as well as ensuring compliance with, standard operating procedures and templates.
- In collaboration with the Senior Manager, preparing annual Marketing and Communications budget, and being accountable for tracking budget variances, staying on budget and co-approval of expenses.
- Providing analysis and guidance on maximizing the ROI of communication investments.
- University degree in Marketing, Communications or a related discipline.
- Minimum 10 years of business experience, with at least 5 years of marketing/communications experience in complex environments. Experience in legal marketing communications preferred.
- B2B experience and/or agency experience including experience in a partnership or matrix environment.
- Significant broad marketing and business development experience, a client service mindset, political sensitivity and experience working with, and presenting to, executive-level clients.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English. Bilingual is an asset.
- Exceptional written communication skills for traditional media relations and business-related communications.
- Solid understanding/experience with internal communications best practices.
- Experience/knowledge related to issues management.
- Integrative and influencing approach to create and implement programs which directly support the business objectives of the firm.
- Strong operational management capability and ability to create synergy through cooperation with many groups is required.
- Highly developed problem solving skills, including analytical and critical thinking.
- Capacity to handle high pressure situations and tight deadlines.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
E-mail : [email protected]
McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.