Manager, Legal Support Services
September 12, 2020
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2020 for the eighth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As the Manager, Legal Support Services, you will be:
- Working closely with Senior Manager, Legal Support Services, Practice Group Leads and Professional Resources to propose, implement and maintain Legal Assistant resources, including hiring talent, recommending teams, providing feedback, and recommending physical location of Legal Assistants and Lawyers based on practice requirements.
- Ensuring development of direct reports to meet the objective of producing strong co-operative work units.
- Managing absences and planning of vacations to ensure adequate coverage, and recording of information. Ensure management and authorization of overtime requests.
- Coaching employees to be accountable for their work, to be aligned with the Firm’s objectives, culture and values and creating an empowering work environment.
- Educating Legal Assistants and Lawyers on the success factors and on the overall McCarthy Engage program on which the teams are evaluated.
- Supporting and mobilizing employees to get involved in projects, meetings, etc.
- Leading the performance management process for employees, including: setting performance objectives; providing and collecting ongoing feedback.
- Coaching for performance and professional development to ensure Firm standards as well as progression of individual professional development goals.
- Identifing problems, seeking innovative solutions, communicating with stakeholders and following through until the problems are resolved.
- Working in a collaborative manner with functional groups and regional Managers to support operational needs.
- Maintaining records, compiling and organizing statistical reports. Analyzing data in order to identify themes and trends. Developing sound recommendations for change and improvement.
- Working with Senior Manager, Legal Support Services to prepare annual budget and monitor monthly budget reports.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Completed post-secondary education in Business Administration, Human Resources or a related field or extensive relevant work experience required.
- Minimum 10 years of experience, with at least 3 years in a people leadership role, ideally in a professional services environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills (French and English).
- Highly developed problem solving, conflict management and negotiation skills, including the ability to successfully resolve performance and disciplinary issues.
- Ability to develop and deliver creative solutions.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in numeracy skills.
- Able to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the Firm while maintaining composure
- Intermediate skill level of Office Suite
- Demonstrated experience in managing change.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment on a national platform.
- Ability to develop strong trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.