Manager, Business Insights (Finance)
January 13, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the tenth consecutive year in 2022, as well as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As a Manager, Business Insights (Finance), you will be:
- Working alongside the Director, Business Insights (“BI”) and Team Lead to lead month-end and quarter-end leadership reporting & analysis, including variance analysis of actuals vs. budget/forecast/prior year.
- Working alongside the Director, BI to lead revenue budgeting and forecasting processes, including data gathering and input, productivity and rate analysis, and preparation of executive-level presentations.
- Playing a leading role in the team’s efforts to provide insights on improving revenue and profitability results.
- Supporting the Marketing & Business Development team’s cross-sell/up-sell efforts by enhancing the monthly Client Production reporting and providing ad hoc reporting.
- Conducting external research and analysis of the Firm’s results against available benchmarking information, and providing insights into opportunities.
- Providing Ad hoc reporting and analysis, as required.
Firm Rates Strategy & Management
- Representing Finance as a member of the Firm’s Pricing Committee, which is responsible for establishing the Firm’s rates strategy and regularly reviewing pricing-related risks/opportunities.
- Leading the annual Rate Setting exercise, including conducting internal and external benchmarking analysis, identification of risks/opportunities related to timekeeper and client rates, presentation of recommendations to Pricing Committee, and implementation of strategy.
- Maintaining timekeeper/client/matter rates in the billing system (Aderant) and leading efforts to implement and improve the ongoing rates maintenance activities.
- Owning the quarterly process for client rebate accruals and credit notes.
- Assisting the Pricing and Business Development teams with client RFP responses and related pricing analysis.
Continuous Process Improvement
- Co-leading the development and maintenance of revenue and profitability templates (e.g. Power BI, Cube or Excel-based), including automation of existing reporting to enable self-serve access for users.
- Co-leading efforts to implement new or enhance existing Business Insights processes, and ensuring all team members are appropriately trained.
- Assisting with maintenance of high-quality data in financial applications (Aderant, Iridium, etc.).
- Directly leading a team of 2-3 Analysts, with accountability for their personal and role-specific skills development; supporting the Director’s efforts to continuously increase the team’s analytical skills/capabilities.
- Providing guidance and direction to the team including the delivery of timely feedback and recognition, managing change, developing potential and acting on performance gaps.
- Supporting the on-boarding, training and coaching of all team hires, including efforts to cross-train on portfolio and functional tasks to establish continuity and succession plans.
- Acting as back-up for the Director to ensure delivery of the team’s mandates.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Completed university degree in a related field (eg. Accounting, Finance or Business Administration).
- Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or Master’s Degree (MBA).
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience displaying a strong knowledge of financial/management reporting concepts and data analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership skills: minimum 3 years’ experience coaching/developing a team.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; adept at synthesizing data into meaningful insights in order to guide internal decision making. Good modelling and quantitative skills.
- Strong written and communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to summarize and present complex information in a clear and concise manner. Fluency in French an asset.
- Excellent time management skills; ability to juggle multiple priorities and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Works well with ambiguity; shows initiative in problem solving.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with others within and outside the Finance department in order to influence and obtain buy-in on common goals.
- Expert level proficiency with Microsoft Excel, including formulas, pivot tables and macros (VBA). Very strong proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint. Solid working knowledge using Outlook, Microsoft Word. Experience with Microsoft OneNote and Teams (including Planner) an asset.
- Knowledge of SQL with some experience writing complex queries required. Experience with Microsoft Access also an asset.
- Experience with Business Intelligence applications (e.g. Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, etc.) strongly desired. Proven proficiency with manipulating financial systems to retrieve required data; familiarity/experience with practice management applications (e.g. Aderant Expert) or legal industry tools (Iridium, Peer Monitor) an asset but not required.
- Familiarity/experience with SharePoint or other self-serve reporting platforms (e.g. Cognos, SSRS) desired but not required.
- Proven aptitude towards learning new applications.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
Please note that, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from McCarthy Tétrault will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. McCarthy Tétrault will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to health or other grounds.