Legal Research Specialist
August 10, 2018
McCarthy Tétrault LLP is recruiting an enthusiastic, service-oriented Legal Research Specialist based in our Calgary office. Reporting to the Manager, Research and Information, this position is part of a multi-office team with responsibility for providing research support and comprehensive current awareness services to lawyers, articling students, and internal departments.
Our firm is looking for a dynamic change agent to fill the role of Legal Research Specialist on our Research and Information team. In this role you will:
- Support our Clients by conducting in-depth legal and business research
- Provide value-added reference services by evaluating, analyzing and summarizing information from a wide variety of sources
- Support our industry approach by providing market intelligence to various practice groups
- Contribute to the design and execution of teaching, training and orientation regarding research methodology and resources for students and lawyers.
- Drive efficiency by supporting the firm-wide priorities and projects for the R&I team
- Handle the day to day operation of the Calgary library through proactive collection development and maintenance including updating circulation records using the library management software, shelving returned material and coordinating filing of all loose-leaf materials.
- Attend and participate in various meetings with the R&I team, practice groups as well as our extended Clients & Markets/Client Service Innovation team.
We are looking for someone with:
- Master of Library and Information Science, or equivalent from an accredited postgraduate university program
- Juris Doctor or law degree would be an asset.
- At least three years of legal research experience and a familiarity with business research.
- Comprehensive knowledge of law, legal systems and legal processes in Canada, the United States and Commonwealth jurisdictions is required.
- Expert search skills using Quicklaw, WestlawNext Canada, as well as other related news, business, and legal databases.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, entrepreneurial individual who has the ability to work both independently and as part of a firm-wide research team.
- Strong time and project management skills are a must as the position entails work on multiple priority projects simultaneously and includes time billing requirements.
- Approaches challenges with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm and initiative, focusing on client service excellence.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Strong technical skills and comfort with technology
- Loves working on a collaborative team, being involved in transformational projects and sharing ideas
- Is passionate about working for a firm/team that gives back to its community and takes equality and diversity very seriously
If you are excited by being at the vanguard of the evolution of the Legal Industry, please contact us at [email protected]
McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.