Legal Assistant, Tax (12-Month Contract)
November 19, 2018
The Legal Assistant, Tax provides support to both our Tax practice group and the Singapore Consulate General in Toronto.
Singapore Consulate General Functions
- Executing and supporting Visa, Passport, Renunciation of Citizenship or PR, Certifying Documents, CPF Withdrawal and Driver’s Licence Authentication application processes
- Preparing, editing, formatting, printing, scanning and revising correspondence, memoranda, reports, forms, labels and other printed material through dictation, copy typing or other instructions, in accordance with the requirements set by the practice group.
- Coordinating and dispersing tasks to be performed by various resource groups such as the Document Specialists, Administrative Clerks, Billing Assistants, etc. where appropriate while ensuring tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Proofreading documents and checking for appropriate formatting, spelling, grammar and clarity.
File and Time Management
- Managing key dates; preparing monthly reports; maintaining daily log of activity;s
- Checking status of applications
Lawyer / Client Support
- Coordinating client meetings, including scheduling rooms
Mail, Fax and Phone Reception Functions
- Reviewing and routing incoming mail and fax communications; preparing and processing outgoing mail and faxes; and arranging for specialized mail or messenger services as required.
- Receiving, handling, screening and/or directing incoming calls as directed by lawyers; responding to routine inquiries and requests from clients; and taking messages as required.
Financial and Administrative Functions
- Preparing financial reports on monthly basis; preparing consular activity report and submitting to Ministry Foreign Affairs (“MFA”) quarterly; maintaining daily log of activity; inputting daily log into Carpe Diem and spreadsheet
- Assembling cash for deposit
- Legal Assistant Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a legal assistant.
- In-depth knowledge of legal terminology, court rules and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail and superior word processing, spelling, proofreading and editing skills.
- Capacity to perform duties with speed and accuracy.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills and ability to work under pressure to meet important deadlines.
- Ability to follow-up on files and delays with minimal supervision.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
E-mail : [email protected]
McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.