Legal Assistant Support - Evening Shift (REMOTE)
September 09, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
The LA Support role has the same duties and responsibilities of a Legal Assistant role working in any of the practice areas, but whose focus would primarily be to assist with work overflow, replacement of an absent Legal Assistant or any other tasks as may be assigned. For this particular position, the focus will be more on document production than administrative duties.
Hours of work:
Monday to Friday 5:00pm - 1:00am EST / 7:00pm - 3:00am MST / 8:00pm - 4:00am PST - flexible start times
As a Legal Assistant Support, you will:
- Providing support to the global Mining Group for document production using Microsoft applications (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio etc.).
- Documenting, logging, tracking and responding to requests from the global Mining Group and when workload permits responding to requests to assist Document Services Group with calls, emails, voicemail and document production in a timely manner.
- Creating various legal and other documents through copy typing, transcription, scanning or other methods. Document work may include converting styles, performing mail merges, inserting media into presentations, cross-referencing, indexing, creating tables (including financial tables), working with graphs and objects, using graphics applications, creating and editing corporate charts, etc.
- Proofreading and checking documents for appropriate formatting, spelling, grammar, and sense/clarity. Includes document version comparisons, checking for accurate revisions, and correcting document corruption.
- Developing an understanding and working knowledge of the Firm’s procedures for the production of documents from the Firm’s precedents.
- Responding promptly to requests, meeting deadlines, and working cooperatively with other departments and individuals within the Firm.
- Applying word processing expertise to be able to work on complex legal and other documents.
- Proactively managing workload fluctuations while working with minimal supervision and direction.
- Performing quality control of own work, seeking clarification when necessary, and reviewing work of others as required.
- Offering assistance to other members of the team, including mentorship when required.
- Maintaining and updating job knowledge and technical skills by identifying and participating in education opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager, Legal Support Services, which could be tasks and responsibilities of a Legal Assistant or a dayshift Legal Assistant Support.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- College certificate (office administration, legal specialization, or related).
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a Legal Assistant or as an Assistant with experience ideally acquired in a professional services environment. Experience in a document production role will be an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of business and legal terminology.
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong attention to detail and superior word processing, spelling, proofreading and editing skills.
- Capacity to perform duties with speed and accuracy.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
Please note that, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from McCarthy Tétrault will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. McCarthy Tétrault will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to health or other grounds.