Legal Assistant, Real Property & Planning (12 Month Contract)
April 29, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
We have an opportunity for a Legal Assistant, Real Property & Planning. This is 12 Month Contract position located in Vancouver.
As a Legal Assistant in Real Property & Planning, you will:
- Assist Paralegals with closings and completions of sales, including checking purchasers’ names to ensure that they match with purchase contracts and assignments
- Conduct various searches as required (e.g. BC Online, Property Tax Certificates, PPSA, BC Assessment), either online or through search agents
- Enter data into the project database and process deposits and contracts
- Create and edit documents in project database
- Ensure filing is current on all correspondence and document files
- Initiate cheque requisitions in connection with refunds/interest on projects and developments. Manage payments of various invoices
- Prepare correspondence and reports
- Communicate with sales centres, purchasers’ solicitors, vendors, and realtors
- Perform general administrative tasks such as photocopying, scanning, emailing, faxing and arranging for courier pick-ups
- Work collaboratively with Paralegal Assistant team to ensure that time, energy and resources are allocated to the tasks or people (Paralegals, Lawyers) where the need and level of importance are greatest.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Post-secondary education in Legal Assistant studies (preferred)
- A minimum 3 years of related experience in a Legal Assistant role required
- Exposure to Real Property practices and procedures required
- Strong attention to detail including excellent skills in spelling, grammar and proofreading
- The capacity to perform duties with speed and accuracy
- An ability to take initiative and excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines and adjust to changing priorities.
- The ability to work effectively both in a consultative team environment and independently – proceeding with objectives under minimal supervision
- A high level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
- Solid computer knowledge including MS Office, and ability to keep up-to-date with changes in technology. Interest and ability to learn other software used in Real Property practice group (e.g. BC Online, project database and conveyancing software).
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.