Legal Assistant, Real Property and Planning
January 25, 2019
- Assisting Paralegals with closings and completions of sales, including checking purchasers’ names to ensure that they match with purchase contracts and assignments
- Conducting various searches as required (e.g. BC Online, Property Tax Certificates, PPSA, BC Assessment), either online or through search agents
- Entering data into the project database and processing deposits and contracts
- Creating and editing documents in project database
- Ensuring filing is current on all correspondence and document files
- Initiating cheque requisitions in connection with refunds/interest on projects and developments. Managing payments of various invoices
- Preparing correspondence and reports
- Communicating with sales centres, purchasers’ solicitors, vendors, and realtors
- Performing general administrative tasks such as photocopying, scanning, emailing, faxing and arranging for courier pick-ups
- Working collaboratively with Paralegal Assistant team to ensure that time, energy and resources are allocated to the tasks or people (Paralegals, Lawyers) where the need and level of importance are greatest.
- Post-secondary education in Legal Assistant studies preferred
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in a Legal Assistant role required
- Exposure to Real Property practices and procedures required
- Strong attention to detail including excellent skills in spelling, grammar and proofreading
- Capacity to perform duties with speed and accuracy
- Ability to take initiative and excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines and adjust to changing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively both in a consultative team environment and independently – proceeding with objectives under minimal supervision
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
- Solid computer knowledge including MS Office, and ability to keep up-to-date with changes in technology. Interest and ability to learn other software used in Real Property practice group (e.g. BC Online, project database and conveyancing software).
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
E-mail : [email protected]
McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.