Legal Assistant, Business Law
August 07, 2019
- Preparing, editing, formatting, printing, scanning and revising correspondence, memoranda, large transaction documents, reports, forms, labels, and other printed material through dictation, copy typing or other instructions, in accordance with the requirements set by the practice group.
- Coordinating and dispersing tasks to be performed by various resource groups such as the Document Specialists, Administrative Clerks, Billing Assistants, etc. where appropriate while ensuring tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Proofreading documents and checking for appropriate formatting, spelling, grammar, and clarity.
File and Time Management
- Managing files including opening new files, maintaining large and complex files, developing, maintaining and utilizing an orderly filing and retrieval system to ensure ease of reference to a historical paper or electronic records, organizing law and precedent files.
- Working with Records Management and Administrative Clerks to create, maintain and store client files as appropriate.
- Updating calendars for assigned lawyers, including their meetings, appointments, due dates, and client-related activities.
Lawyer / Client Support
- Coordinating lawyer travel arrangements, including preparing itineraries and travel expense reports.
- Updating contact names and addresses in the client database on a regular basis.
- Coordinating client meetings, including scheduling rooms and arranging for needed catering or audio-visual equipment.
Mail, Fax and Phone Reception Functions
- Reviewing and routing incoming mail and fax communications; preparing and processing outgoing mail and faxes, and arranging for specialized mail or messenger services as required.
- Receiving, handling, screening and/or directing incoming calls as directed by lawyers; responding to routine inquiries and requests from clients, and taking messages as required.
Financial and Administrative Functions
- Assisting with the preparation and finalization of time entry on a daily basis according to firm standards in preparation for Billing Analyst to process.
- Working with Finance to coordinate new Client and Matter openings (KYC);
- Coordinating activities with functional area staff (Office Services, Marketing, etc.), as needed.
- Providing consistent backup support when assistants are absent; providing support to assistants who may be managing multiple tasks and/or difficult deadlines; and working proactively as a positive and productive member of the team.
- Maintaining and updating job knowledge and technical skills by identifying and participating in educational opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Legal Assistant diploma or college certificate in office administration or Information & Communications Technologies or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a legal assistant or as an assistant with experience ideally acquired in a professional services environment.
- In-depth knowledge of business and legal terminology.
- Strong attention to detail and superior word processing, spelling, proofreading and editing skills.
- Capacity to perform duties with speed and accuracy.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills and ability to work under pressure to meet important deadlines.
- Ability to follow-up on files and delays with minimal supervision.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
E-mail: [email protected]
McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.
Job ID: S789