October 12, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected in 2021 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
We have Legal Assistant opportunities available in all of our Canadian office locations (Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Calgary and Vancouver), and in the following practice areas (Business Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property, Real Property & Planning, Labour & Employment and Tax).
As a Legal Assistant, you will:
- Prepare, edit, format, print, scan and revise correspondence, memoranda, litigation documents, reports, forms, labels and other printed material through dictation, copy typing or other instructions, in accordance with the requirements set by the practice group.
- Coordinate and disperse tasks to be performed by various resource groups such as the Document Specialists, Administrative Clerks, Billing Assistants, etc. where appropriate while ensuring tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Proofread documents and check for appropriate format, spelling, grammar and clarity.
File and Time Management
- Manage files including: open new files, maintain large and complex files, develop, maintain and utilize an orderly filing and retrieval system to ensure ease of reference to historical paper or electronic records, organizing law and precedent files.
- Work with Records Management and Administrative Clerks to create, maintain and store client files as appropriate.
- Manage key dates including physical bring forward system and updating calendars for assigned lawyers, including their meetings, appointments, due dates and client-related activities.
Lawyer / Client Support
- Coordinate lawyer travel arrangements, including preparing itineraries and travel expense reports.
- Update contact names and addresses in the client database on a regular basis.
- Coordinate client meetings, including scheduling rooms and arranging for needed catering or audio-visual equipment.
Mail, Fax and Phone Reception Functions
- Review and route incoming mail and fax communications; prepare and process outgoing mail and faxes; and arrange for specialized mail or messenger services as required.
- Receive, handle, screen and/or direct incoming calls as directed by lawyers; respond to routine inquiries and requests from clients; and take messages as required.
Financial and Administrative Functions
- Assist with the preparation and finalization of time entry on a daily basis according to firm standards in preparation for Billing Assistant to process.
- Work with Finance to coordinate new Client and Matter openings (KYC);
- Coordinate activities with functional area staff (Office Services, Marketing, etc.), as needed.
- Provide consistent backup support when assistants are absent; provide support to assistants who may be managing multiple tasks and/or difficult deadlines; and work proactively as a positive and productive member of the team.
- Maintain and update job knowledge and technical skills by identifying and participating in education opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Legal Assistant Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a legal assistant.
- Strong attention to detail and superior word processing, spelling, proofreading and editing skills.
- Capacity to perform duties with speed and accuracy.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills and ability to work under pressure to meet important deadlines.
- Ability to follow-up on files and delays with minimal supervision.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
Please note that, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from McCarthy Tétrault will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. McCarthy Tétrault will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to health or other grounds.