Junior Medical Defense Law Clerk
March 12, 2019
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
File / Project Management
- Managing each assignment by accurately evaluating specific job requirements and objectives, including the application of appropriate technology and support resources.
- Liaising with other members of the Litigation group.
- Assisting with the organization and management of files or parts of files.
- Meeting with lawyers to take instruction and direction, and attending organizational meetings with clients/lawyers.
- Contacting or meeting with service providers as directed to deliver on lawyer and client requirements.
Case and Trial Preparation
- Preparing for the serving and filing of Court documents as directed.
- Preparing materials for motions and hearings, as directed, including working with lawyers.
- Preparing materials for and attending witness interviews and examinations as directed.
- Assisting lawyers with the preparation of materials for examination, cross-examination and trial.
- Preparing summaries of witness statements.
- Preparing for and attending at select examinations and court hearings.
Compilation of Data
- Compiling all briefs required, including preparing and maintaining exhibit, undertaking and witness binders.
- Compiling books of authorities, and motion and appeal briefs.
- Preparing bills of costs.
- Collating all data to be entered into the evidence management database (correspondence, procedures, memos, contact lists).
- Creating and updating document indexes.
- Performing computerized searches as directed.
- Compiling factual summaries of documents in the record.
- Preparing affidavit of records, including using database and litigation support software systems.
- Preparing and reviewing transcript summaries.
- Assembling and preparing responses to undertakings.
- Drafting routine correspondence and correspondence as directed.
- Preparing Court documents, as directed.
Research / Review
- Conducting searches in both transcripts and databases.
- Reviewing documents as directed.
- Compiling legal research.
- Conducting legal research or other research under the direction of lawyers, where appropriate.
- Examining and filing documentation online as directed.
- In collaboration with Litigation Support, preparing and organizing the evidence management database (keywords, binders etc.).
- Coordinating the addition of transcript materials into Litigation Support databases.
- Maintaining and monitoring evidence databases.
- Organizing the documents located in the trial war room.
- Complying with systems for recording undertakings, refusals and responses thereto.
- Following checklists and precedents.
- Maintaining integrity of file and all record keeping systems.
- Entering time charges on a timely basis following prescribed firm and departmental procedures and objectives.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- University degree or successful completion of a law clerk certificate/diploma course (or equivalent) from a recognized educational institution.
- Three to five years of prior relevant law clerk work experience, ideally gained in a law firm, insurance company or similar environment.
- Prior experience in criminal law would be an asset.
- Knowledge of or familiarity dealing with medical records.
- Knowledge of civil procedure and evidence law.
- Ability to read and summarize documents.
- Proven commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative (including autonomous file follow-up), use judgment, make decisions and accept responsibility effectively.
- Focuses on Client Service: Capacity to identify, understand, and meet and/or exceed the needs and expectations of internal and external clients in a timely manner.
- Works Well with Others (Teamwork): Ability to work effectively with others (e.g., team members, co-workers, supervisors, direct reports, clients, etc.) to achieve mutual goals.
- Demonstrates Flexibility: Ability to work effectively within a variety of situations, readily adapting to changes.
- Communicates Effectively: Capacity to exchange verbal and written information, ideas and feedback with individuals or groups to enhance and ensure mutual understanding.
- Focuses on Results: Commitment to setting, achieving and/or exceeding individual, team, or firm goals.
Required experience with computer or other technological equipment, including experience with specific software. Also, required knowledge/experience in specific practice areas or work processes/protocols.
- Job Knowledge: Ability to acquire, apply and maintain a body of knowledge related to the field.
- Effective use of Technology: Solid computer knowledge of Microsoft Office and one or more litigation support databases, including CaseLogistix, Summation, Concordance or similar evidence management databases. Ability to keep up-to-date with changes in technology and latest information.
- Knowledgeable in litigation-related technological systems for maintaining and organizing file materials.
- Familiarity with additional litigation support technologies an asset.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
E-mail : [email protected]
McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.