Junior E-Discovery Analyst
October 30, 2019
MT>3, a division of McCarthy Tétrault LLP, specializes in providing advice and services relating to the management of digital information. We support both remote and on-site review projects, have excellent project managers, and run professional and efficient reviews. Compensation is competitive in the market and commensurate with experience.
MT>3 is seeking a Junior E-Discovery Analyst to join the downtown Toronto office. This position is for a candidate who demonstrates a keen interest in on the job learning, problem solving and career growth. Please include in your cover letter a recent example(s) that highlights these qualities. The successful candidate will show maturity and professionalism while providing high quality e-Discovery support.
To Apply: All applications must be accompanied with a cover letter outlining why the candidate is suitable for the position. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary responsibility for this position will be supporting one of the firm’s large clients with database management, including loading, maintenance and preparing production files.
Playing an essential supporting role in the completion of a complex data migration, the chosen candidate will immediately gain new skills and knowledge over a variety of e-Discovery applications.
This growth position is designed for a highly motivated candidate to build their competency profile, increase their proficiency in e-Discovery technology and process and over time advance their position as a member of the MT>3 Analyst team.
Data Receipt / Review / Processing / Loading / Export
- Maintain chain of custody and evidence log of all incoming and outgoing data.
- Perform technical review of client-provided data to validate completeness, including following up where appropriate.
- Process and load client data and images into E-Discovery databases, including creation or modification of load files as required.
- Produce data metrics reports.
- Work with lawyers, project managers, paralegals and law clerks to analyze and cull processed data before loading into review tool.
- Perform image OCR on documents as needed.
- Migrate processed data and incoming load files into review tool.
- Configure and generate document productions in accordance with project manager instructions.
- Understand and adhere to standard practices and firm standards.
Database Management, Maintenance & Support
- Data processing.
- Assist law clerks and paralegals with workspace configuration, user accounts and permission, and resource allocation; assist in implementing application procedures and best practices.
- Assist key stakeholders across the firm to access and use migrated data in the new environment.
- Troubleshoot any technical issues that arise during or after the migration/archiving process.
- Restore archived data into Relativity, guided by end user requirements.
- Manage images in a Virtual CD application.
- Maintain, support and troubleshoot existing e-Discovery applications and associated data, including data processing, filtering, culling, loading into review platform, running and exporting productions, and archiving workspaces.
- Perform administrative tasks such as creating, modifying, restoring and archiving workspaces, creating and maintaining user accounts and user permissions, and managing background processing tasks.
- Troubleshoot application issues, and work with support resources to ensure high availability of e-discovery applications.
General / Team
- Assist lawyers, project managers, paralegals and law clerks with the set-up and use of technology tools in examinations and courtroom presentations.
- Review system logs regularly to spot potential problems.
- Complete daily billing time records in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with firm standard docketing practices.
- Utilize firm procedures and resources appropriately.
- Perform other duties, including special projects, as assigned.
- Familiarity with e-Discovery review platforms. Experience with Caselogistix and/or Relativity would be an asset but is not required.
- Strong organization skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, including analysis, critical thinking, and the ability to self-learn new technologies and techniques without formal training.
- Ability to interact confidently with project managers, paralegals, lawyers and clients.
- Capacity to handle high-pressure situations and deadlines.
- Ability to accommodate changing internal and external team requirements while maintaining data integrity.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, bilingualism is an asset.
- Ability to accommodate overtime.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality standards.
- Problem-solving: Ability to analyse a problem and develop a viable solution. Desire to learn new technologies and techniques without formal training.
- Focuses on Client Service: Capacity to identify, understand, and meet and/or exceed the needs and expectations of internal and external clients in a timely manner.
- Works Well with Others (Teamwork): Ability to work effectively with others (e.g., team members, co-workers, supervisors, direct reports, clients, etc.) to achieve mutual goals.
- Demonstrates Flexibility: Ability to work effectively within a variety of situations, readily adapting to changes.
- Communicates Effectively: Capacity to exchange verbal and written information, ideas and feedback with individuals or groups to enhance and ensure mutual understanding.
- Focuses on Results: Commitment to setting, achieving and/or exceeding individual, team, or firm goals.
Required experience with computer or other technological equipment, including experience with specific software. Also, required knowledge/experience in specific practice areas or work processes/protocols.
- Job Knowledge: Ability to acquire, apply and maintain a body of knowledge related to the field.
- Effective use of Technology: Solid computer knowledge including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office, computer skills and expertise, and ability to keep up to date with changes in technology and latest information. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, including formula and data manipulation features.
- Competent in the area of basic e-discovery workspace design and optimization. Experience with database concepts, creation, development and access; ability to manipulate data in MS Access or MS SQL using queries.
- Solid understanding of the E-Discovery processes and common software including Relativity, Ringtail, Axcelerate, iPro, Nuix, FTK, Encase, Caselogistix, Lexis/Nexis LAW, among others. IT support training or equivalent work experience in an IT environment.
- Understanding of network concepts and PC client/server application architecture.
- Understanding chain of custody requirements and familiarity with forensic processes.
This role reports to the E-Discovery Analyst Manager
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment will be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to the following address:
E-mail : [email protected]
All applications must be accompanied with a cover letter outlining why the candidate is suitable for the position. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
We thank all applicants for their interest in MT>3 and McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment.