Financial Analyst, Partner Accounting & Tax
May 06, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Toronto. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a Financial Analyst, Partner Accounting & Tax, you will be:
- Calculating and processing monthly, quarterly and special draw distributions, including relevant deductions.
- Preparing monthly journal entries and account reconciliations related to partner draw distributions and deductions.
- Maintaining and updating various partner accounting related schedules such as income distribution schedule, budget and actual variance analysis schedule, retired allowance schedule, partner points and headcount tracker, fixed compensation payment and accrual tracker, partner bonus schedule, professional corporation (PC) transition tracker, etc.
- Maintaining the partner Adjusted Cost Base and At Risk Amounts schedule.
- Liaising with the HR department to ensure the accuracy of partner benefit data and reconcile draw deductions vs. GL vs. invoices.
- Maintaining credit card deduction process and providing information to Accounts Receivable group on quarterly basis for processing.
- Maintaining PC transition and new partner on board process.
- Preparing and distributing annual overage statements to partners.
- Reviewing partner’s club due disbursement submission.
- Responding to partner inquiries on a timely basis with the highest levels of customer service.
- Assisting with the preparation of annual partnership tax.
- Assisting with annual budget process as required.
- Supporting the external audit process as required.
- Assisting with annual partner allocation project as required.
- Assisting with partner draw/accounting related projects as required.
- Assisting with identifying areas for process improvement and automation.
- Ad hoc as required.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- University degree in related field
- Professional accounting designation, an asset.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in accounting, finance or payroll.
- Excellent organization skills and demonstrated ability to prioritise in a demanding work environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to build and maintain good relationships with partners and related internal/external groups.
- Extremely detailed-oriented and able to work with time-sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Advanced Microsoft Office Excel skills, including familiarity with Pivot Tables, V-Lookup, etc., or demonstrated ability to learn quickly.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.