Education Specialist (1-year contract)
June 15, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the tenth consecutive year in 2022, as well as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Montreal. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
McCarthy Tétrault’s Education team supports the ongoing development of legal knowledge, practice skills, client development abilities and leadership capacities for lawyers, students and paraprofessionals. These seminars, workshops, meetings, and e-learning modules are led by a faculty composed of our own lawyers as well as industry experts.
As an Education Specialist (1-year contract), you will be:
- Administering, co-ordinating and delivering national and regional lawyer education programs.
- Meeting with partners and practice leaders to identify new areas/types of programs and to discuss current offerings.
- Liaising with internal and external experts to identify new programs and speakers.
- Arranging and leading meetings of speakers, assembling and distributing materials for review by speakers, introducing programs, etc.
- Arranging all program/workshop logistics including catering, boardrooms, video conference equipment as well as all technology and documentation requirements, as required.
- Sending program notices, invitations, reminders and confirmation information to participants and speakers.
- Administering all aspects of the regional Mandatory Continuing Professional Development (MCPD) Regime in the assigned region, including submitting and tracking accreditation applications and tracking attendance for all related programs.
- Keeping current a list of lawyers who have compliance obligations under multiple MCPD regimes and communicating regularly with those lawyers to identify programs available to them to meet their requirements.
- Using and contributing to the ongoing development of all related protocols and tracking systems.
- Acquiring and maintaining knowledge of the requirements of the regional MCPD Regime.
Department Administration & Co-ordination
- Co-ordinating and collaborating with members of the Education Team in the application of project management principles to all aspects of the department’s work.
- Responding promptly to requests and inquiries from internal and external clients – providing them needed direction, assistance, materials and resources.
- Organizing department meetings including preparing agendas and minutes, as required.
- Arranging for payment of consultant invoices, fees or charges for attendance at programs by lawyers.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Undergraduate university or college degree (Administration or HR preferred). Study related to adult learning an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a program development and implementation role with significant administrative responsibilities.
- Experience interfacing with senior professionals and members of the business community.
- Fluency in English and French, both spoken and written.
- Significant flexibility in order to deliver various education programs including flexible lunch hours, arrival and departure times as well as some evening work during heavy workload periods.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and comfortable speaking to groups at programs or meetings.
- Very collaborative and high level of service orientation with the ability to problem solve.
- Self-starter who takes initiative with exceptional organizational and time management skills, and who works efficiently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to maintain a fast pace and manage multiple demands under pressure by prioritizing.
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail.
- Experience in legal administration (asset).
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm.
- Competitive compensation including paid overtime.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.