eDiscovery Project Manager
August 05, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As an eDiscovery Project Manager, you will be:
- Providing advice to clients and legal teams regarding E-Discovery techniques and technologies.
- Under the direction of the Partner and/or Senior Lawyers, preparing project estimates and budgets, when required, and advising on their reliability and margin for error.
- Managing case-based teams including lawyers, paralegals and the regional E-Discovery resources to facilitate collaborative E-Discovery efforts.
- Managing Legal Hold Notices or providing advice to clients and the legal team regarding preservation.
- Identifying specific objectives for case projects and accurately assessing project requirements and scope, including the application of appropriate technology and resources. Preparing Project Plans where applicable.
- Ensuring all projects have required documentation before commencement, including project checklists.
- Conducting custodian interviews.
- Preparing Collection Plans and overseeing collection processes where required.
- Monitoring and tracking the status of all projects including those sent off-site, and providing regular project status reports to the team and the client.
- Managing risk and reporting potential risks to the team and the client.
- Conducting various quality control steps, as necessary, during the E-Discovery lifecycle.
- Ensuring projects are completed within approved budget and timeline.
- Working with MT>3 Team and IT staff to maintain and improve high availability of and disaster recovery strategies for database environments, including backup, restore, replication and fail-over methods where appropriate.
- Preparing and reviewing activity, progress, and performance reports of firm and hosted databases to ensure accurate, appropriate and effective use of data, including database definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines and eliminating data redundancy.
- Communicating with MT>3 Team as appropriate in order to ensure the database integrity, security and availability.
- Liaising with client, lawyers and Review Team to create a line of communication in order to facilitate any and all needs for each project.
- Liaising with E-Discovery Analysts to support end-users.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Completed post-secondary degree in a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of project management, case management or Law Clerk experience within the legal/E-Discovery industry.
- PMP designation considered an asset.
- Proficient with Relativity, and other E-Discovery platforms
- English with other languages considered an asset.
- Ability to interact confidently with lawyers and clients.
- Strong problem-solving skills, including analysis and critical thinking.
- Capacity to handle high-pressure situations and deadlines.
- Ability to accommodate changing internal and external team requirements while maintaining database integrity.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to accommodate occasional travel and overtime.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality standards.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected].We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.