e-Discovery Project Manager
January 07, 2020
McCarthy Tétrault is Canada’s leading full-service law firm. We provide creative and intelligent legal services to some of the most influential businesses and institutions nationally and globally, throughout our offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montréal, Québec City and London, U.K.
MT>3, a division of McCarthy Tétrault LLP, specializes in providing advice and services relating to the management of digital information. We support both remote and on-site document review projects, have excellent project managers, and run professional and efficient reviews. Compensation is competitive in the market and commensurate with experience.
This is a senior position with our MT>3 division and is based in Vancouver.
To apply: All applications must be accompanied with a cover letter outlining why the candidate is suitable for the position. Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing advice to clients and legal teams regarding E-Discovery techniques and technologies.
- Under the direction of the Partner and/or Senior Lawyers, preparing project estimates and budgets, when required, and advising on their reliability and margin for error.
- Managing case-based teams including lawyers, paralegals and the regional E-Discovery resources to facilitate collaborative E-Discovery efforts.
- Managing Legal Hold Notices or providing advice to clients and the legal team regarding preservation.
- Identifying specific objectives for case projects and accurately assessing project requirements and scope, including the application of appropriate technology and resources. Preparing Project Plans where applicable.
- Ensuring all projects have required documentation before commencement, including project checklists.
- Conducting custodian interviews.
- Preparing Collection Plans and overseeing collection processes where required.
- Monitoring and tracking the status of all projects including those sent off-site, and providing regular project status reports to the team and the client.
- Managing risk and reporting potential risks to the team and the client.
- Conducting various quality control steps, as necessary, during the E-Discovery lifecycle.
- Ensuring projects are completed within approved budget and timeline.
- Working with MT>3 Team and IT staff to maintain and improve high availability of and disaster recovery strategies for database environments, including backup, restore, replication and fail-over methods where appropriate.
- Preparing and reviewing activity, progress and performance reports of firm and hosted databases to ensure accurate, appropriate and effective use of data, including database definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines and eliminating data redundancy.
- Communicating with MT>3 Team as appropriate in order to ensure the database integrity, security and availability.
- Liaising with client, lawyers and Review Team to create a line of communication in order to facilitate any and all needs for each project.
- Liaising with E-Discovery Analysts to support end-users.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
In addition to education, required work experience:
- Completed post-secondary degree in a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of project management, case management or Law Clerk experience within the legal/E-Discovery industry.
- PMP designation considered an asset.
- Proficient with Relativity, and other E-Discovery platforms
- Multilingual in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, considered an asset.
- Ability to interact confidently with lawyers and clients.
- Strong problem-solving skills, including analysis and critical thinking.
- Capacity to handle high-pressure situations and deadlines.
- Ability to accommodate changing internal and external team requirements while maintaining database integrity.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to accommodate occasional travel and overtime.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality standards.
- Focuses on Client Service: Capacity to identify, understand, and meet and/or exceed the needs and expectations of internal and external clients in a timely manner.
- Works Well with Others (Teamwork): Ability to work effectively with others (e.g., team members, co-workers, supervisors, direct reports, clients, etc.) to achieve mutual goals.
- Demonstrates Flexibility: Ability to work effectively within a variety of situations, readily adapting to changes.
- Communicates Effectively: Capacity to exchange verbal and written information, ideas and feedback with individuals or groups to enhance and ensure mutual understanding.
- Focuses on Results: Commitment to setting, achieving and/or exceeding individual, team, or firm goals.
Required knowledge/experience in specific practice areas or work processes/protocols.
- Job Knowledge: Ability to acquire, apply and maintain a body of knowledge related to the field.
- Effective use of Technology: Solid computer knowledge including Microsoft Windows and MS Office, computer skills and expertise, and ability to keep up-to-date with changes in technology and latest information. Knowledge of Lotus Notes products helpful.
- Solid understanding: E-Discovery processes and common software including Relativity.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to the following address:
E-mail : [email protected]
All applications must be accompanied with a cover letter outlining why the candidate is suitable for the position. The application will not be considered if it is not accompanied with a cover letter.
Please indicate the job title in the subject line of your email.
McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.