Director, Project Management Office
November 19, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the tenth consecutive year in 2022, as well as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As the Director, Project Management Office, you will be:
- Owning overall success of the portfolio including projects and programs, financials, data quality and accuracy in reporting and resolution of issues to advance overall objectives.
- Linking program goals to the business' objectives and customer impacts; navigating organization to achieve results.
- Building firm-wide process improvements, as required.
- Communicating effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders by adapting style and message to diverse audience, collaborating with key partners; influencing sponsors, businesses and other partners; responding to inquiries and escalating concerns from stakeholders at all levels in the organization.
- Assessing and ensuring that customer experience / stakeholder implications are appropriately managed by executing, complying and improving McCarthy's Project Management methodology and governance standards.
- Proactively identifying and tracking project risk and developing mitigation plans to manage risk.
- Developing and being accountable for the effective and efficient utilization of approved project/portfolio budgets. Managing, monitoring and reporting on the project budget using appropriate financial management tools.
- Ensuring that an appropriate project management plan and schedule is developed and implemented, including identification of the key resources needed for each phase of the project to ensure timely delivery of required outcomes.
- Building portfolio level change management plan.
- Developing an understanding of technical and business aspects of the project in order to effectively manage the project and resources.
- Managing, maintaining and improving PMO governance by contributing to methodology body of knowledge and reporting.
- Coaching, leading and mentoring project team members.
- Selecting, organizing and managing project team members.
- Recruiting and hiring for the Project Management Office, as required.
- Directing and validating work performed by Project Managers. Providing guidance, expertise, counsel and support to project team members, business partners and PM’s throughout the project lifecycle.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Minimum 10 years of experience as a Project and/or Program Manager, including demonstrated expertise leading high-performing teams and large projects with multiple work streams.
- PMP certification and a solid understanding of project management methodologies.
- A completed degree in a relevant field of study. Advanced degree (e.g., M.B.A.) considered an asset.
- Experience with PMO governance structure and management.
- A track record of delivering high quality results on multiple projects managed simultaneously.
- Demonstrated resilience and the ability to quickly adapt to change.
- Strong consulting skills – demonstrated ability to provide counsel, influence and negotiate at all levels within an organization.
- Strong financial acumen with exceptional analytical skills – ability to quickly absorb information on a variety of complex issues (financial and non-financial) and provide insights on key issues and prepare presentations on findings.
- Demonstrated skill in capacity and resource management to ensure optimum resource utilization based on capabilities.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively, provide meaningful feedback, manage conflict, and build relationships.
- Experience with large Change Management initiatives.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
Please note that, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from McCarthy Tétrault will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. McCarthy Tétrault will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to health or other grounds.