Director of Communications
November 20, 2019
Innovative Law Firm Seeking Dynamic Change Agents
McCarthy Tétrault is leading the charge to adapt to changing client needs through the re-imagining of our service offerings. Our culture is collaborative, inclusive, diverse, entrepreneurial and evolves with the pace of business. We offer sophisticated legal and business advice that incents efficiency, leverages our deep industry knowledge and our national resources for a predictable, effective service experience that solves our clients’ most complex problems.
Our Clients & Markets/Client Service Innovation team brings market strategy and service delivery innovation under one umbrella to ensure the needs of our clients are always top of mind. Our team plays an integral role in advancing the firm’s ambitious strategy at the vanguard of the legal industry.
Our firm is looking for a dynamic change agent to fill the role of Director on our Clients & Markets/Client Service Innovation team. In this role you will:
Strategy Development and Execution
- Based on the firm’s overall strategy and in collaboration with the National Innovation Leader, Chief Client and Innovation Officer (“CCIO”) and peers on the Clients & Markets/Client Service Innovation team, develop annual goals, project roadmaps and implementation plans for the team.
- Create, implement and measure the success of a comprehensive marketing communications and public relations program to continually enhance the firm’s market position. The program includes brand awareness, digital marketing (website, social media, digital marketing tools), marketing communications (lawyer profile-building, thought leadership, announcements, promotional materials, client communications), market recognition (awards, directories, rankings) and media/public relations.
- Keep informed about and adopt the latest developments in the fields of marketing communications, marketing tools and technology and public affairs.
- Ensure the brand is expressed clearly and consistently across all internal and external audiences nationally and abroad. Direct programs to optimize brand awareness including client events, seminars, strategic sponsorships and media relations. Engage with legal market research organizations on brand index and ratings. Ensure integrity of brand messaging to staff and lawyers in partner meetings, committee meetings, town halls, etc.
- Lead awards submissions for lawyers and clients, including acting as a key contact with major awards organizations. Lead communications and announcements relating to directories and rankings.
Public and Media Relations
- Foster strong relationships with key media outlets and industry publications. Promote publication of firm content across multiple media channels. Lead the response to media inquiries and public relations opportunities and challenges.
- Oversee ongoing enhancements to the firm website, microsites, social media, blogs and digital marketing tools. Leverage multiple channels and implement new technology to continue to increase the firm’s market reach.
- Enhance the firm’s market profile through press releases, announcements, promotional materials, client communications and the like. Collaborate with lawyers of the firm to increase their market profile through thought leadership, web presence, content creation and dissemination. Use market research and marketing analytics to guide firm content strategy and format.
Design and Creative
- Lead editorial direction, design and production of publications, thought leadership and communications.
- In collaboration with CCIO, develop and track annual Clients and Markets budget nationally, including being accountable for tracking budget variances, staying on budget and co-approval of expenses
- Lead, coach and provide professional development to a national diversified team of marketing professionals, including:
- Translating vision and strategy into understandable goals, plans and priorities.
- Managing workforce and workflow based on budget and business needs.
- Supporting the development of team members by providing continuous feedback, coaching and recognition, enabling others to grow and succeed. Fostering team member accountability related to their career and development.
- Recommending development plans for direct and indirect reports.
- Building relationships across functions and regions to achieve and improve results.
- Effectively leading and managing change.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has earned a university degree and preferably, an advanced degree (MBA/JD/LLB).
- Has a minimum of 10 years of relevant communications experience (law firm or professional services experience preferred).
- Has exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to communicate cogently and concisely with empathy and tact. Bilingualism (French/English) an asset.
- Can motivate and manage lawyers and staff, anticipate and solve problems as they arise and implement conflict resolution in a constantly changing environment.
- Demonstrates excellent managerial and diplomacy skills with strong strategy development, critical thinking, creativity and business and political acumen.
- Is highly organized with project management and process improvement mindset and capability to manage commitments on time and on budget.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm, fitness and tuition reimbursements, on-site yoga and second language classes
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a Summer Friday program.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose
If you are excited by being at the vanguard of the evolution of the Legal Industry, please contact us at [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.