Director of Business Development
November 19, 2019
Innovative Law Firm Seeking Dynamic Change Agents
McCarthy Tétrault is leading the charge to adapt to changing client needs through the re-imagining of our service offerings. Our culture is collaborative, inclusive, diverse, entrepreneurial and evolves with the pace of business. We offer sophisticated legal and business advice that incents efficiency, leverages our deep industry knowledge and our national resources for a predictable, effective service experience that solves our clients’ most complex problems.
Our Clients & Markets/Client Service Innovation team brings market strategy and service delivery innovation under one umbrella to ensure the needs of our clients are always top of mind. Our team plays an integral role in advancing the firm’s ambitious strategy at the vanguard of the legal industry.
Our firm is looking for a dynamic change agent to fill the role of Director on our Clients & Markets/Client Service Innovation team. In this role you will:
- Develop and implement marketing and business development initiatives in Québec Region to secure new clients, strengthen relationships and build brand awareness, supporting firm-wide strategic priorities, marketing and BD plans.
- Work with the Québec Regional Managing Partner (RMP), Québec Practice Leaders and partners to create and execute a Québec Region strategic market plan integrated with national Industry and Practice plans. Continuously analyzing and adjusting the strategic market plan as needed to increase effectiveness.
- With direction from Québec RMP, organize agendas and chair Québec market meetings and special market planning sessions to support advancement of the strategic market plan.
- Provide input into the development and implementation of the firm’s overall strategic marketing and business development plans.
- In collaboration with Québec lawyers, leverage market knowledge to identify and pursue opportunities with current and prospective clients.
- Conduct and assess in-depth market analyses on the Québec market and presenting findings and recommendations to Québec partners.
- Use and promote adoption of Salesforce in Québec Region as a strategic client relations, business development and marketing tool.
- Providing strategic advice and guidance to lawyers preparing for client presentations and responding to RFPs.
- Provide support as required including collecting background research, preparing proposals, obtaining transaction lists, and providing industry analysis and recommendations.
- Coach lawyers on successful business development and profile-building techniques to enhance the firm’s brand and win new business.
Brand Awareness, Reputation and Media Relations
- Ensure the brand is expressed clearly and consistently across all internal and external audiences in the Québec market. Direct programs to optimize brand awareness in collaboration with the Events and Marketing Communications teams, including client events, seminars, strategic sponsorships and media relations. Ensure integrity of brand messaging to staff and lawyers in partner meetings, Town Halls etc.
- In collaboration with CCIO and national Marketing Communications Leader, support the management of all high-level communication projects in the Québec region related to crisis management, reputational management, lateral hires, and departures and awards.
- Prepare annual Québec Region Business Development and Marketing budget, and being accountable for tracking budget variances, staying on budget and co-approval of expenses.
- Provide analysis and guidance on maximizing the ROI of marketing investments, including events, corporate box etc.
Clients & Markets Team
- Lead, manage, coach and provide professional development to direct and indirect reports in Québec Region. Manage work-flow and making staffing and hiring decisions.
- Provide guidance to and collaborate with Clients & Markets team members in Québec Region who are on national teams (g., Events, Proposals, CRM) in alignment with national Clients & Markets team leaders.
- Participate in Clients & Markets team meetings and initiatives.
- Provide support to the Québec RMP, partners and Management Team, working with cross-functional Directors in Québec to manage change, services delivery and special initiatives involving lawyers and functional support staff.
- Actively participate in the regional committee including: Québec Region Operations Committee, Québec Region Commercial Litigation Group, Québec Region Business Law Group.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has earned a university degree and preferably, an advanced degree (MBA preferred).
- Has a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience (law firm or professional services experience preferred).
- Is fully bilingual (French/English) and has exceptional communication skills (verbal and written).
- Can motivate and manage lawyers and staff, anticipate and solve problems as they arise and implement conflict resolution in a constantly changing environment.
- Demonstrates excellent managerial and diplomacy skills with strong strategy development, critical thinking, creativity and business and political acumen.
- Leads with a client-service mindset and has experience working with, and presenting to, executive-level clients.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm, fitness and tuition reimbursements, on-site yoga and second language classes
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a Summer Friday program.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose
If you are excited by being at the vanguard of the evolution of the Legal Industry, please contact us at [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.