Coordinator, Associate & Students Programs
September 12, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position is based out of Vancouver. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a Coordinator, Associate & Students Programs, you will be:
- Coordinating the articling and summer recruitment process, including processing and screening applications, creating interview schedules, corresponding with applicants, organizing dinners and receptions, preparing interviewers’ information manual, and organizing various meetings, etc.
- Ensuring that all student activities and documents are completed in accordance with the Law Society policies and procedures. Ensuring that all Law Society fees are paid on behalf of summer and articling students.
- Acting as a liaison with law schools.
- Creating and maintaining the student rotation schedule.
- Organizing and preparing agenda for regular meetings with students.
- Assisting in the development, coordination and facilitation of articling and summer student orientation. Liaising with various departments to establish new hire training programs.
- Administering the student performance evaluation process, through viDesktop.
- Supporting the Director, Professional Resources (Alberta and BC) and the practice groups in preparing and organizing information in connection with the hire-back process.
- Organizing social events for students.
- Providing guidance to students and lawyers by advising on Firm protocol, practices and procedures.
- Updating and implementing revised policies, Student Handbook and Committee Manuals as approved by the Director, Professional Resources (Alberta and BC), and updating accordingly.
- Attending Student Committee meetings and preparing agendas, reports/statistics and minutes, as required.
- Maintaining the retention and integrity of confidential student personnel files and ensuring that materials, work space and telephones are available for the students upon arriving at the Firm.
- Supporting the Education Team on student programming.
- Assisting in the development, coordination and facilitation of first year associate orientation. Liaising with various departments to establish new hire training programmes.
- Administering the associate performance evaluation processes, through viDesktop.
- Assisting in the coordination of associate departures, including tracking attrition data.
- Preparing associate pregnancy and parental leave memos, as required, and tracking all leaves.
- Organizing payment of Professional Resources invoices for associate-related items.
- Updating Associate Reference Manual, as directed.
- Attending Professional Resources Committee meetings and preparing agenda/minutes.
- Retaining and ensuring integrity of confidential associate personnel files.
- Arranging administrative details for new associates, including communication with internal stakeholders, conflict searches, office details, technology and training.
- Organizing events (educational and social) hosted by the Professional Resources team, including call to the bar ceremony and mentor awards.
- Preparing and tracking associate secondment documentation, advising internal departments of details of secondment.
- Support lateral associates with law society transfers.
- Support Foreign Legal Consultant applications.
- Assisting the Director, Professional Resources with daily ongoing administrative tasks.
- Supporting the Education team with associate programming.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Post-secondary education in administration, or a related field.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in a professional services environment.
- One to 2 years Human Resources or recruiting experience is an asset.
- Exceptional analytical, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and manage competing priorities.
- Exceptional accuracy and detail orientation.
- Must be flexible during heavy workload periods. Job can require flexible lunch hours and some evening work will be necessary for events and during recruitment periods.
- Ability to multi-task.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.