Conflicts and Client Data Coordinator
May 31, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As a Conflicts and Client Data Coordinator, you will be:
- Performing conflict of interest searches on a timely basis in various databases as requested by the professionals and staff of all practice areas and other management/departments.
- Processing requests for opening new clients and matters including performing the conflict search, and obtaining all relevant information.
- Preparing an "aging" of outstanding Accounts Receivable for review by the Director of Finance Operations for new matters.
- Reviewing Know Your Client (“KYC”) requirements and requesting further identification from lawyers/legal assistants when necessary. Following-up on non-compliance relating to KYC requirements.
- Storing KYC information in Document Management system as secured documents once fully completed.
- Reviewing correct tax to be applied on new matters and assisting lawyers and legal assistants with determining same based on Place of Supply Rules and PST rules.
- Obtaining approvals for and maintaining lists of non-billable matter numbers.
- Identifying confidential matters and ensuring integrity of all names pertaining to such matters. Following-up to lift confidentiality when public.
- Updating information relating to billing formats and e-billing clients.
- Distributing new client and matter information as required to various finance members, based on specific criteria.
- Updating and ensuring integrity of existing information pertaining to client matters and client contacts in the accounting database. Ensuring bill groups are updated and accurate.
- Processing, distributing and ensuring the integrity of the New Business Report.
- Promptly reassigning or closing all clients and matters for departing lawyers.
- Ensuring the integrity and maintenance of all supporting and backup documentation.
- Providing information on various client groups to the marketing team through conflict searches and reports.
- Accurately preparing and storing batches of conflict searches relating to lateral hires.
- Ensuring appropriate coverage is available at all times, adjusting work schedule when necessary.
- Available for on-call evening and weekends rotation to cover urgent conflict searches after hours.
- Providing assistance/backup to Risk Management (Screens) by updating screen memos, contacting screen custodians.
- Cross-training and providing coverage for other department functions, as needed (varies within each region).
- Performing other duties and projects as assigned.
Please note this role will require on-call availability for evenings and weekends on occasion.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of accuracy, to be detail oriented and well organized.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Post-secondary education related to or including accounting or database management principles.
- Minimum 3 years of related experience, ideally acquired in a legal or professional services environment.
- Basic accounting knowledge, gained through post-secondary education or experience.
- Bilingual (English/French) with excellent verbal and written communication skills an asset
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.