Business Development & Operations Leader
October 08, 2019
We are looking for a Business Development and Operations Leader to significantly increase the revenues associated with the firm’s translation division. Working collaboratively with firm and division leadership, the Business Development and Operations Leader will develop new strategic markets, maintain existing relationships with all translation clients and ensure all translation operations run smoothly. The successful candidate will have strong business development skills and in-depth knowledge of the legal professional services industry.
This position is based out of our Montreal office and involves regular travel to other Canadian offices.
As the Business Development & Operations Leader, you will:
- Develop and implement business development and go-to-market activities of the firm’s translation division.
- Implement strategic initiatives to exploit, develop and expand the business of the division.
- Develop new relationships with the target clienteles and expand current relationships by promoting the provision of translation services.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships in Canadian business communities.
- Participate in networking events in regional business communities and other targeted business areas by ensuring that communication with potential high-level clients is maintained.
- Work on a bank of potential customers in the medium and long term and keep the client relationship management (CRM) database up-to-date to ensure effective follow-up.
- Capitalize on the technical expertise of the translation team to develop strong proposals in terms of written content, awards, presentations and contracts to develop new markets.
- Work in a collaborative, cross-functional team spirit to create local business opportunities for the division.
- Target areas of organic growth, potential strategic associations and potential market acquisitions.
- Oversee the preparation and completion of proposals and retainer letters.
- Drive the registration and application process for responses to requests for proposals (RFPs) with government agencies, either as part of a broader McCarthy Tétrault response or directly by the translation division.
- Manage and track all fee estimates provided to clients.
- Monitor client happiness and feedback.
- Liaise with Division Lead to make decisions for operational activities, policies and practices.
- Implement business plans in relation to cost effective operations.
- Plan and monitor the day-to-day operations of the division.
- Collaborate with the Finance Department by overseeing financial management, planning, systems and controls.
- Support the Human Resources and Performance Management process.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in strategic development and business development, preferably acquired in a professional services or legal environment.
- Experience managing team operations and leading people.
- Advanced degree in Business, Commerce or Marketing.
- Legal training is an asset.
- Training and certification in Project Management and Lean Six Sigma is an asset.
- Relevant knowledge of Canadian markets with an understanding of changing trends in the socio-legal environment.
- Solid business acumen and understanding of business risks and issues, and the ability to recognize business opportunities.
- Proven experience in acquiring strategic mandates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to build relationships, collaborate in a team environment, and influence results.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Bilingualism (French/English) Required
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm, fitness and tuition reimbursements, on-site yoga and second language classes
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a Summer Friday program.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment.