Business Development Manager - National Litigation Group
September 10, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
Our Clients & Markets/Client Service Delivery team brings market strategy and service delivery innovation under one umbrella to ensure the needs of our clients are always top of mind. Our team plays an integral role in advancing the firm’s ambitious strategy at the vanguard of the legal industry. We are looking for a business-oriented, dynamic change agent to fill the role of Business Development Manager.
As a Business Development Manager, you will:
Act as the Clients & Markets (C&M) Lead and main point-of-contact for the National Litigation Group and other assigned Industry Groups, Practice Groups, and/or Strategic Issues Groups and select Priority Clients, helping key stakeholders strategize and execute on marketing and business development efforts. This includes:
- Industry Group Planning & Execution: Develop and implement end-to-end integrated marketing and business development plans and go-to-market strategies to win new mandates for both new and existing clients within assigned groups. This includes:
- Leveraging firm best practices and advanced methodologies for target identification and pursuit;
- Recommending and executing tactics for increasing market profile;
- Collaborating with the Marketing Communications and Events teams on campaigns to support go-to-market strategies;
- Recommending approaches to build client relationships.
- Priority Client Planning & Execution: Develop and implement integrated marketing and business development plans to identify opportunities to deepen client relationships, and cross-sell practice areas or solutions for assigned priority clients.
- Strategic Issues Group Planning & Execution: Develop and implement integrated marketing and business development plans to identify opportunities to deepen client relationships, and cross-sell practice areas or solutions for assigned Strategic Issues Groups.
- Strategic Advice and Guidance: Compile, review and analyze market, industry and legal intelligence to identify trends and opportunities to drive new business opportunities for assigned groups and clients.
- Lawyer Profile Support: Develop strategies to help lawyers within assigned groups build profile both internally and in the market.
- Ongoing Group and Client Support: Provide recommendations, guidance, and project management for marketing and business development initiatives for assigned groups and clients, including support relating to sponsorships, awards, legal directories, and more.
- Pitches, Proposals, and Client Reporting: Collaborate with the Proposals team and/or lawyers to support RFP, proposals and pitch opportunities to win new business, as well as client reporting requests:
- Provide guidance and input to Proposals team, including reviewing proposal drafts and providing insight and edits on strategic proposal and pitch opportunities for assigned industries and priority clients.
- Provide strategic advice and coaching to lawyers in preparation for client presentations.
- Provide guidance and input on client requests for reporting of the firm’s value and offerings, collaborating with Finance and lawyers to ensure timely submission.
- Other Support: Support other marketing and business development initiatives for assigned groups and clients, including collaborating with the Events and Communications teams on specific efforts.
- Budgets: Collaborate with lawyers to develop annual budgets for assigned industry groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Undergraduate degree in marketing, communications or related field.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience, preferably in a legal or professional services firm.
- Strategic, out of the box thinker able to proactively devise new growth ideas.
- Strong communication and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines while completing designated tasks in a systematic and logical way.
- Driven to produce high quality deliverables and deliver top-notch client service with great attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and accommodate rush requests.
- Strong business writing skills.
- Familiarity with project management and process improvement principles.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
Please note that, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from McCarthy Tétrault will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. McCarthy Tétrault will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to health or other grounds.