Business Development Manager
August 04, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Toronto. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
The Manager, Clients and Markets (Business Development) is responsible for executing the programs and activities noted below, as defined and assigned.
As a Business Development Manager, you will be:
- Business Development
Ensuring there are regular and proactive meetings with assigned Practice/Industry Groups and International Markets leaders and corresponding lawyers to identify day-to-day business development and marketing objectives, including:
- Assisting with annual plans for select Practice/Industry Groups and International Markets setting out business growth objectives, budgets and action plans.
- Assisting lawyers and the Director, Business Development, on pitches to clients and prospects, including drafting agendas, speaking notes, and associated materials.
- Assisting in writing, editing and proofreading pitches, proposals and other communication materials related to marketing and business development initiatives.
- Researching practice and market trends, bringing insights forward to support content for Blogs/articles, RFPs and presentations.
- Evaluating and making recommendations related to marketing sponsorship opportunities.
- Coordinating sponsorship-related deliverables, including: scheduling, logistics, internal participation, communication and follow-up activities.
- Liaising with lawyers and third parties to prepare and deliver timely business information.
- Developing and monitoring annual business development budgets, including forecasting, and reporting to key stakeholders.
- Completing rankings and awards submissions.
- Providing additional support on special projects as required.
- Net Promoter Score (NPS) Process Management
- Managing day-to-day activities of the Exigent team members who are responsible for executing the NPS process, answering questions as required and managing escalation issues
- Corresponding with Clients & Markets/Client Service Innovation leadership team members on progress of NPS process including annual statistics and YOY comparison reports
- Managing response to detractor scores with Client Relationship Lawyers
- Sending communications to Regional Managing Partners for dissemination prior to and after NPS survey cycle
- Implement continuous process improvement activities focused on streamlining the process and improving response rates
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- University degree in Marketing, Communications or a related discipline.
- Minimum five years of marketing and business development experience in the professional services industry (partnership or matrix environment).
- Client service mindset, political sensitivity and experience working with, and presenting to, executive-level clients.
- Process driven with excellent project and time management skills.
- Strong people management skills, including coaching, mentoring, delivering feedback and recognition on a regular basis.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English. Bilingual (English and French) is an asset.
- Integrative and influencing approach to create and implement programs, aligned with the business objectives of the Firm.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected].We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.