Business Analyst, Reporting
November 17, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a Business Analyst, Reporting, you will be:
- Reporting on a regular (monthly/quarterly) and ad hoc basis of Firm, practice, region, industry group, timekeeper, client, or matter revenue results, for our internal and external clients.
- Developing/maintaining Dashboards, Alerts and report templates for use within the Finance Department and other internal stakeholders (Partners, Senior Leadership etc.)
- Supporting the ongoing development and automation efforts for existing and new finance reports, including efforts to enable self-serve reporting capabilities (via BI/SSRS tools or SharePoint) for internal clients.
- Designing and building digital forms and workflows in ServiceNow’s App Engine and MS Power Platform.
- Providing reporting and technical support on the firms multiyear project to digitize the Client Intake to Collections workflow.
- Providing support with Exposure and Billing forecasting exercises, including data gathering and input, productivity and rate analysis, and assisting with the preparation of executive-level presentations.
- Conducting external research and perform benchmark/trend analysis against Firm results.
- Assisting external auditors, including investigating audit queries.
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with billing analysts, billing lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants and external clients; responding to their queries regarding rates, billing, WIP and AR.
- Providing ad hoc reporting and analysis as required.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- University degree in a related field (e.g. Accounting, Finance or Business Administration).
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Working towards obtaining Accounting designation preferred but not required.
- Strong proficiency in MS Excel including experience with scripting VBA to automate reports.
- Experience writing complex queries in SQL is desired. Intermediate skills in database maintenance preferred.
- Experience building data models and dashboards with Power BI (preferred), SSRS (preferred) or similar BI tools (Tableau, Qlik, etc.).
- Experience creating automated alerts using with SSRS (preferred) or similar tools.
- Proven aptitude towards learning new applications.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; adept at creating meaningful insights from source data.
- Strong reconciliation skills while working with GL and transactional data.
- Self-Starter & quick learner – willing to spend time investigating/reconciling data on your own to minimize disruption to SMEs.
- Very strong written and communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to summarize and convey complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong ability to prioritize concurrent activities, follow through on open items and provide status updates, unprompted. Deadline oriented.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.