May 15, 2019
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with billing analysts, billing lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants, and external clients. Responding to their queries regarding the billing process.
- Ensuring compliance with Firm procedures and policies relating to billing at all times.
- Monitoring and updating vacation schedule and reporting on absences of billing team. Ensuring that lawyers and legal assistants are aware of such absences and that coverage is in place.
- Monitoring and ensuring accrual requests at a client level are handled by appropriate billing analysts and deadlines are met.
- Training and continuing education of new and existing billing analysts. Mentoring and guiding billing analysts with their workload and responsibilities.
- Hold monthly meeting with billing analysts to review issues, training requirements, workloads and escalate issues to Billing Director, Manager, Finance Operations or others, where appropriate.
- Meeting with lawyers and legal assistants with respect to any performance issues relating to the billing analysts.
- Ensuring time is entered by deadlines and following up with lawyers and paralegals where necessary. Providing reports and escalating to appropriate management level if appropriate (Practice Group Lead, Practice Lead).
- Preparing, printing and reviewing of prebills in a timely manner, including any necessary follow up with others in the firm, and revising according to client billing guidelines and firm standards. Preparing invoices and forwarding to lawyers, as required. Ensuring invoices and supporting documents are forwarded to client in a timely manner, by mail, email or uploading into various e-billing sites, with supporting documents.
- Conducts New-Hire Billing and Client Records training for the office for all administrative and legal new hires, as necessary.
- Monitoring and reviewing of outstanding WIP and following up with lawyers and paralegals to ensure timely billing. Meeting with billing analysts in office(s) to review the results of their individual WIP review, and monthly reporting on status of such files to Manager, Finance Operations and attendance at WIP review meeting with Chief Financial Officer and others.
- Preparing various reports and spreadsheets related to time, billing, receivables, etc for lawyers/paralegals and/or external clients where applicable. Coordinate such reports with billing analysts.
- Works closely with the Billing Director in developing and implementing billing procedures and policies.
- Performing project work, leading and coordinating or participating in projects as assigned.
- Conducting annual performance reviews for billing analysts in office(s). Meeting with Billing Director to discuss reviews and provide input.
- Liaising with Finance Department and billing analysts to ensure client codes and contract specifications are up-to-date and procedures are followed.
- Liaising with E-billing Team with respect to any rejected invoices during e-billing submissions. Working with the E-billing Team to identify issues and determine process solutions with respect to the billing analyst role on the floor.
- Completing online status reports and budgets in e-billing systems for various clients in coordination with lawyers and legal assistants.
- Acting as monitor for specific clients and/or matters when Alternate Fee Arrangements are in place. Ensuring that special rates and discounts are applied to each invoice. Monitoring thresholds and other milestones and updating billing lawyer on status. Providing reports and ensuring that we are complying with all special arrangements.
- Being responsible for initial collection inquiry with external clients. Escalate billing concerns/issues to billing lawyer for direction on next steps. When necessary, cancel and reissue invoices or create credit notes in accordance with firm policies. If applicable, forwarding problematic client collections to Collection Department for follow-up.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- A certificate in Business or Accounting is required, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of related experience, including client service, billing, collections and\or accounts receivable, preferably in a professional services firm.
- Familiarity\Experience with Aderant Expert or a similar accounting system would be an asset.
- Strong people management skills, ability to handle multiple tasks, set schedules and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.Knowledge of business and legal terminology.Flexibility to work overtime during peak billing periods.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong written and oral communication skills (French and English in Quebec).
- Capacity to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external clients.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop direct reports
- Prior supervisory experience is preferred
- Intermediate level in Excel and Word is required.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume to:
E-mail: [email protected]
McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.