Billing & Collections Specialist
January 05, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As a Billing & Collections Specialist, you will be:
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with billing lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants and external clients, and responding to any queries regarding the billing and collections process.
- Ensuring time is entered by set deadlines and following up with lawyers and paralegals where necessary. Preparing, printing and reviewing of prebills in a timely manner, monthly, quarterly or on request, including any necessary follow up with others in the Firm and revising according to client billing guidelines and Firm standards and policies.
- Preparing invoices and forwarding to Lawyers, Clients as required. If necessary, ensuring supporting documents are forwarded to client in a timely manner, by mail, email or uploading into various e-billing sites.
- Creating PDF, delimited or XML file invoices for e-billing clients, based on such client’s requirements. Liaising with E-billing Team with respect to any rejected invoices during e-billing submissions.
- Completing online status reports and budgets in e-billing systems for various clients in coordination with lawyers and legal assistants.
- Monitoring and reviewing of outstanding WIP (Work In Progress) and following up with lawyers and paralegals to ensure timely billing. Tracking contingency files, closings and other milestone billing arrangements and reporting on status of such files to Manager/Director, Finance Operations, including requirement for WIP provisions.
- Acting as monitor for specific clients and/or matters when Alternate Fee Arrangements are in place. Ensuring that special rates and discounts are applied to each invoice. Monitoring thresholds and other milestones and updating billing lawyer on status. Providing reports and ensuring compliance with all special arrangements.
- Collecting outstanding/aged accounts receivable within the prescribed protocol/ procedure in a timely and professional manner by phone, letter and email; using the Expert Collection module in the Aderant system.
- Developing a weekly collection strategy/plan to expedite payment or resolution for overdue accounts in concert with the Billing Lawyers, Legal Assistants, and/or Client for accounts that present high exposure.
- Escalating accounts through Senior Management, as deemed necessary for follow-up. Facilitating and preparing supporting documentation for the remedy requested/recommended for accounts which present credit risk/loss through insolvency procedures, service suspension, third party collection or taxation.
- Monitoring credit performance and ensuring the client operates and maintains the account within the terms and conditions of agreement, as applicable.
- Identifying issues from the root source/cause and bringing resolution to minimize/eliminate recurring symptoms or concerns.
- Coordinating, investigating and resolving payment/account discrepancies to include: short payment, over payments, unapplied cash, and misapplication, posting errors, payment analysis/support documentation in the event of request or dispute.
- Phoning clients, obtaining credit card information and processing credit card payments online via virtual terminal, as requested.
- Preparing and reporting WIP/AR Exposure reports to the assigned Billing Lawyers in each respective portfolio. Preparing various reports and spreadsheets related to time, billing, receivables, etc. for lawyers/paralegals and/or external clients where applicable.
- Maintaining a collection notes in the Aderant system, as it relates to the day-to-day activity of the assigned client account.
- Conducting a weekly review and reporting the status/next steps/action plan for each account that has aged 61+ days past due and reporting month end results.
- Serving as the central contact/liaison for the financial needs of a client’s account. Performing complex account reconciliations with a view to resolution of a full range of possible issues/challenges.
- Acting as liaison between Lawyers/LA’s and Finance, providing assistance re accounting or financial queries to ensure client needs are met.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience, including client service, billing, collections and\or accounts receivable, preferably in a professional services firm.
- Familiarity\Experience with Aderant Expert or a similar accounting system would be an asset.
- Strong time management skills, ability to handle multiple tasks, set schedules and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Capacity to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external clients.
- Flexibility to work overtime during peak billing periods.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment.