Bilingual System Operator (IT)
June 15, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
This position can be based out of Montreal. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As a System Operator, you will be:
- Supporting the Director, Technology Infrastructure & Operations (TI&O) in maintaining system operation, providing 2nd level escalated support regarding IT services.
- Ensuring system backup and restoration operation effectiveness. Participating in the operation of disaster recovery directives.
- Operating the unified collaboration infrastructure; and VOIP telephony infrastructure and related items i.e. phone lists, directories, extensions, DIDs firm-wide, and voice system.
- Responding to alerts and monitoring health & availability of our infrastructure from various monitoring systems relating to server, storage, cloud, network; and participating in the resolution of incidents.
- Performing security operations including security incident response, vulnerability management, patching, and compliance.
- Performing system operations mandate, including user provisioning / de-provisioning across multiple platforms such as moves, distribution list management, file security, ethical wall system maintenance, etc.
- Communicating with the end users and IT department in regards to planned and unplanned service outages / incidents, providing status updates as required.
- Providing day to day operation of IT services in accordance to ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) practices, which include incident management, problem management, release management, change management, availability management, capacity management, configuration management, etc.
- Engaging in solving escalated systems issues with guidance from system administrators, and in collaboration with IT stakeholders, business practice groups, and vendors.
- Participating in work teams within IT, Project Management Office (PMO), Vendor Management Office (VMO), and other business groups from a system operation perspective.
- Performing weekly on call rotation when assigned.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- System Operator(s) with after hours schedule, including evenings and / or weekends, will also provide ITSM Service Desk Support services to end-users, including:
- Acting as the 1st IT point of contact, responding to calls, tickets, emails, voicemails and drop- by’s in a timely manner.
- Documenting, logging, and tracking all user contacts using ticket management system.
- Escalating to system administrator and other IT teams to resolve issues.
- Communicating with 3rd party providers to resolve IT issues, when needed.
- Performing physical (Move/Add/Change/Decommission) of end user computing (e.g. laptop, telephone) on weekends as needed.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- University degree in Information Technology, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of Information Technology experience.
- System Operations experience, and / or extensive Service Desk experience in infrastructure across multiple technological platforms, including Cloud.
- Practical ITIL experience, certification would be an asset.
- Capacity to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strategic thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to advocate strategic initiatives and exert constructive influence with stakeholders.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and perform under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Collaborative, flexible and adaptable.
- Bilingualism – English and French
- Flexibility to work on weekends as per business needs
- Practical knowledge on the following technologies:
- Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Azure, and other Cloud technologies.
- Server hardware management and storage systems.
- Networking (e.g. Cisco based platforms).
- APM/LoadBalancing (e.g. F5).
- Network Security (e.g. Cisco Firewall).
- Messaging and Mobility Services (e.g. EXOL, Airwatch, Intune).
- Anti-malware Solutions (Client and server).
- Communications Network (e.g. VoIP, Teams, Conferencing).
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected] We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.