Bilingual Billing Specialist (6-month contract)
February 22, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As a Billing Specialist, you will be:
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with billing lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants and external clients, and responding to any queries regarding the billing process.
- Ensuring time is entered by set deadlines and following up with lawyers and paralegals where necessary. Preparing, printing and reviewing of prebills in a timely manner, monthly, quarterly or on request, including any necessary follow up with others in the Firm and revising according to client billing guidelines and Firm standards and policies.
- Preparing invoices and forwarding to lawyers, as required.
- Monitoring and reviewing of outstanding WIP (Work In Progress) and following up with lawyers and paralegals to ensure timely billing. Tracking contingency files, closings and other milestone billing arrangements and reporting on status of such files to Manager, Finance Operations, including requirement for WIP provisions.
- Preparing various reports and spreadsheets related to time, billing, receivables, etc. for lawyers/paralegals and/or external clients where applicable.
- Creating PDF, delimited or XML file invoices for e-billing clients, based on such client’s requirements.
- Ensuring invoices and supporting documents are forwarded to client in a timely manner, by mail, email or uploading into various e-billing sites.
- Liaising with Finance Department to ensure client codes and contract specifications are up-to date and procedures are followed.
- Liaising with E-billing Team with respect to any rejected invoices during e-billing submissions.
- Completing online status reports and budgets in e-billing systems for various clients in coordination with lawyers and legal assistants.
- Acting as monitor for specific clients and/or matters when Alternate Fee Arrangements are in place. Ensuring that special rates and discounts are applied to each invoice. Monitoring thresholds and other milestones and updating billing lawyer on status. Providing reports and ensuring compliance with all special arrangements.
- Acting as liaison between lawyers/LA’s and Finance, providing assistance re accounting or financial queries to ensure client needs are met.
- Responsible for initial collection inquiry with external clients. Escalating billing concerns/issues to billing lawyer for direction on next steps. When necessary, cancelling and re-issuing invoices or creating credit notes in accordance with Firm policies. If applicable, forwarding problematic client collections to Collection Department for follow-up.
- Obtaining additional information relating to special arrangements and/or information required for setup for e-billing matters, and assisting E-billing team to ensure matters are set up promptly.
- Review/translate narratives to ensure matter is billed in appropriate language and identify such changes for review by billing lawyers.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience, including client service, billing, collections and\or accounts receivable, preferably in a professional services firm.
- Familiarity\Experience with Aderant Expert or a similar accounting system would be an asset
- Strong time management skills, ability to handle multiple tasks, set schedules and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Capacity to demonstrate tact and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external clients.
- Flexibility to work overtime during peak billing periods.
- Strong French and English written and oral communication skills.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.