January 13, 2022
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the tenth consecutive year in 2022, as well as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As an Applications Architect, you will be:
- Supporting the Director, Applications in the planning of application technology roadmaps and leading practices.
- Supporting the Director, Applications in the planning and coordination of the application portfolio life cycle, with a focus on application development, system and data integration which includes application program planning, application design, application build, testing, and deployment/commissioning. Application portfolio includes SaaS, PaaS, cloud hosted business solutions, applications, and end user computing software (e.g. desktop/laptop/mobile device).
- Together with the applications team, developing, facilitating and maintaining application development standards, procedures and roadmaps.
- Supporting the Director, Applications to ensure application functions are designed / configured to meet business requirements and IT standards (including IT security); tested in accordance with the testing methodology; performed in accordance to operating requirements; and deployed to meet service/operating/commissioning requirements. This includes the coordination of work with other stakeholders in IT, business practice groups, and vendors.
- Providing advice and recommendations to the Director, Applications on emerging application technologies and opportunities to improve performance / capacity / scalability and to mitigate risk of application services.
- Designing systems, applications, and user interfaces to meet business requirements, which includes:
- Working with internal and external Business Analysts to understand the business needs and interpret the requirements into a solution design for presentation to appropriate stakeholders.
- Performing system and network analysis, researching software and hardware products or services, when needed, and identifying the most appropriate/best value solutions that can be implemented within resource constraints.
- Designing and developing systems to meet technical specifications.
- Providing expert advice and engaging in the resolution of complex application and system issues, in collaboration with other stakeholders in IT, business practice groups, and vendors.
- Ensuring documentation is developed, maintained and knowledge is transferred among other IT stakeholders.
- Providing technical advice and support to the Application Analyst in the development and implementation of application solutions.
- Providing advanced custom development expertise and advanced technical support for deployed solutions and processes.
- Providing advice to and participating in work teams with other stakeholders in IT, Project Management Office (PMO) and other business practice groups from an application development and systems integration perspective.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- University degree or equivalent in Information Technology.
- Minimum of ten years of information technology experience, three years of which in a senior application development/architecture or systems integration role.
- Possess broad range of technical/application knowledge (business, middleware, end user computing software, SaaS, PaaS, networking, security, etc) and application development life cycle experience in multiple technological platforms.
- Experience and ability in exercising a lead role in the conceptualization, design, and implementation of application technology initiatives.
- Possess practical ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) experience, certification an asset.
- PMP certification an asset.
- Demonstrate business acumen and experience in managing business relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience with a professional service organization’s structure and processes is an asset.
- Ability to exercise strategic thinking and problem solving skills in managing complex situations.
- Ability to advocate strategic initiatives and exert constructive influence with stakeholders.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent pieces of work, and appropriately applying judgment about the prioritization of effort.
- Capacity to handle high pressure situations and tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational, work and time-management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Job Knowledge: Ability to acquire, apply and maintain a body of knowledge related to the field.
- Effective use of Technology: Exceptional computer knowledge and ability to keep up-to-date with changes in technology and latest information.
- In depth knowledge of Application System Development Life Cycle.
- In depth knowledge of Windows Operating Systems and M365.
- In depth knowledge of Azure AD.
- In depth knowledge of authentication technologies.
- In depth knowledge of relational database technology.
- In depth knowledge of Software Asset Configuration technologies.
- In depth knowledge of physical/virtual workstation environment management technologies.
- Knowledge of Application Development standards.
- Knowledge and experience managing remote access technologies including Citrix, SSL VPN, Windows Terminal Services.
- Knowledge of VB, VBA, Java Script, .Net, HTML and XML and other programming languages.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer and a day off for your birthday.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected]. We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.
Please note that, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from McCarthy Tétrault will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. McCarthy Tétrault will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to health or other grounds.