Director, Professional Resources (Quebec Region)
June 03, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As a Director, Professional Resources, you will be:
- Managing all aspects of the Student Program, including recruitment, orientation, performance management, law school liaison activities and the professional development of articling and summer students in the relevant regions.
- Managing general group and individual issues related to summer law and articling students and liaising with the relevant law schools on student issues.
- Overseeing the overall professional development of Junior Associates (Year 1 associates) and providing general career guidance and support for this cohort.
- Leading the annual associate performance review and compensation process for Year 1 associates, including (1) reviewing and preparing annual review summaries, (2) co-leading junior associate performance review meetings and (3) contributing to compensation discussions with the Senior Director, Professional Resources, PRC partners and leadership.
- Leading the on-boarding and orientation process for first-year associates.
- Translating vision and strategy into understandable goals, plans and priorities.
- Leading, managing and developing a team of professional staff to deliver programs consistent with firm strategy.
- Managing all direct reports which include: performance management, staff development, hiring, disciplinary procedures and terminations.
- Participating in strategic development and implementation of department goals and initiatives.
- Leading short or long-term projects, regionally and/or firm-wide.
- Maintaining operational and cost efficiencies for functional area(s) regionally and/or Firm wide.
- Cultivating effective and positive relationships regionally and/or firm-wide.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Bilingualism in French and English.
- Minimum of 3 years legal practice experience; experience with recruitment, mentoring and firm management activities.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional client service skills.
- Must be flexible (open to new ideas, to frequent change in priorities, etc.).
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgement.
- Ability to handle an extensive workload with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent managerial skills, as well as diplomacy.
- Capacity to handle high pressure situations and tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected] . We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process