Director of Operations (Business Law)
June 09, 2021
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2021 for the ninth consecutive year. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
As a Director of Operations, you will be:
- Implementing priorities, policies and procedures for the Quebec Region Paraprofessionals, their Legal Assistants and Annual Maintenance Clerks (the “BLS Team”), which follow those established nationally for BLS departments, to ensure excellent client service.
- Managing workflows for the BLS Team.
- Liaising with practice leads to identify the needs of the Business Law group and working with the BLS Team to ensure those needs are met.
- Hiring – Assisting with recruitment, selection and orientation, and ensuring staffing levels meet client needs.
- Coordinating Work – Coordinating work assignments, including assigning projects. Ensuring that work flows efficiently within the BLS Team, including identifying and addressing areas of weakness and initiating cross-training as appropriate.
- Work Tools – Ensuring the BLS Team uses firm approved technical tools, software and precedents.
- Developing – Developing and training the BLS Team, including providing educational support.
- Supporting – Providing continual support to the BLS Team including assisting with personnel issues, attending to long-term planning, and assessing the need for additional resources (Paraprofessional or Legal Assistants).
- Managing Performance – Assisting with the annual performance management process, with a view to ensuring that individuals produce high-quality work. This includes giving feedback and supporting goal-setting.
- Succession Planning – Forecasting staff vacancies and identifying potential upward or lateral movement possibilities within the group. Also, for key positions, identifying potential internal candidates and/or the anticipated need for external hiring.
- Engagement – Building a positive workplace culture through a variety of means. This includes department-wide initiatives, and challenging and supporting individuals in such a way that they are motivated to offer discretionary effort and choose to stay in the group rather than move out or leave the Firm.
- Participating in Firm planning pertaining to BLS Paraprofessionals, including promoting effective utilization of Paraprofessionals in the group, creating synergies with other BLS groups in the Firm, and participating in national BLS projects, as requested.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- A law degree, with a minimum of 7 years practice experience in business law.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a supervisory or management position.
- Demonstrated leadership ability (capacity to make decisions, to build commitment, to develop others and to act strategically) – see Leadership Competencies below.
- Outstanding client practices.
- Strong people skills – able to build relationships with executives or senior managers and directors, and to gain confidence of stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to perform comfortably in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment and to maintain a professional attitude.
- Able to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to ensure accuracy.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected] . We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted.
We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process