Our firm recognized by Lexpert for acting in four of the Top 10 deals and three of the Top 10 business decisions of 2017
Toronto, February 6, 2018 — Lexpert Magazine recently published its list of Top 10 deals and Top 10 business decisions for 2017. McCarthy Tétrault is pleased to have acted on four of the Top 10 deals and three of the Top 10 business decisions of the year, as well as receiving three honourable mentions for acting on significant deals sitting outside of the Top 10. Lexpert’s annual list of Top 10 deals & cases is a trusted guide to the year’s most impactful deals and court decisions in Canada, which are ranked based on a comprehensive analysis of prevailing economic and regulatory conditions.
“Our commitment to providing the best legal talent and client service in Canada and around the world is the reason why McCarthy Tétrault acts on some of Canada’s most important deals and cases each year. Our firm is known for consistently taking the lead in high-profile deals and precedent-setting litigation before all courts in the country. We want to thank our clients for entrusting us with their most important matters. I am always proud of all members of McCarthy Tétrault and the work we do, providing innovative solutions and exceptional outcomes to our clients all year, and today I congratulate all firm members who worked on these Top 10 matters,” said Dave Leonard, CEO of McCarthy Tétrault.
McCarthy Tétrault’s lawyers and professionals advised on the four following transactions (summary description below):
1. BCE acquires Manitoba Telecom Services
2. Nortel Global Settlement
3. Parkland Fuel acquires Chevron Canada's downstream fuel business
4. Stelco Restructuring
We also acted on the following business decisions, all of which were argued before the Supreme Court of Canada (summary description below):
- Google v. Equustek Solutions
- Alberta v. University of Calgary
- Canada v. Fairmont Hotels
Finally, our firm was recognized with an honourable mention for acting in the three following cases (summary description below):
- Canadian Natural Resources acquires Athabasca Oil Sands Project interests from Shell (and completes joint acquisition of Marathon Oil Canada Corp.)
- Goldcorp, Barrick and Kinross three-way transaction (Cerro Casale Project); Goldcorp buys Exeter Resource
- Restructuring of Pacific Exploration & Production
Deals and decisions summary description
- BCE acquires Manitoba Telecom Services: McCarthy Tétrault advised BCE (Bell) in its C$3.9 billion acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Manitoba Telecom Services (MTS).
- Nortel Global Settlement: McCarthy Tétrault represented Morneau Shepell Ltd. in its capacity as administrator of Nortel’s Canadian registered pension plans, a major creditor in the worldwide insolvency proceedings.
- Parkland Fuel acquires Chevron Canada's downstream fuel business:McCarthy Tétrault advised ParklandFuel Corp. in its C$1.5 billion acquisition of Chevron Canada's Downstream Fuel Business.
- Stelco Restructuring: McCarthy Tétrault represented Stelco through the implementation of a Companies' Creditors Arrangements Act (“CCAA”) plan.
McCarthy Tétrault represented clients before the Supreme Court of Canada in these Top 10 cases of the year 2017:
- Google v. Equustek Solutions: This highly-publicized case is the first case anywhere in the world where a search engine has been ordered to de-list or de-index websites from its search indexes globally. The plaintiffs alleged that the defendants designed and sold counterfeit versions of their product. McCarthy Tétrault intervened on behalf of various industry organizations representing music labels and other content creators worldwide in support of Equustek’s position.
- Alberta v. University of Calgary: The twin cases of Alberta v. University of Calgary and Lizotte v. Aviva Insurance further enshrined solicitor-client privilege in Canadian jurisprudence by establishing its primacy in the face of statutory production demands. McCarthy Tétrault acted for the British Columbia Freedom of Information and Privacy Association as intervener in Alberta v. University of Calgary.
- Canada v. Fairmont Hotels: McCarthy Tétrault represented Fairmont Hotels before all levels of the court in its C$12 million tax dispute with Canada Revenue Agency.
McCarthy Tétrault received honourable mentions from Lexpert for its involvement in the following significant deals:
- Canadian Natural Resources acquires Athabasca Oil Sands Project interests from Shell (and completes joint acquisition of Marathon Oil Canada Corp.): McCarthy Tétrault represented Shell Canada in its C$11.1 billion disposition of its oil sands assets to a subsidiary of Canadian Natural Resources Limited and joint acquisition of Marathon Oil Canada Corporation with CNRL.
- Goldcorp, Barrick and Kinross three-way transaction (Cerro Casale Project): McCarthy Tétrault advised Goldcorp on the acquisition of a 50% interest in the Cerro Casale project from Kinross Gold Corporation and Barrick Gold Corporation, the acquisition of a 100% interest in the Quebrada Seca project from Kinross and the formation of a 50/50 regional joint venture with Barrick over the Cerro Casale, Quebrada Seca and Caspiche projects in Chile's Maricunga district. McCarthy Tétrault also advised Goldcorp with the granting of royalties in connection with the acquisitions of the interests in the Joint Venture from each of Kinross and Barrick and the grant of a water supply agreement to Kinross by the joint venture. The transaction had a total value of USD$ 445 million.
- Restructuring of Pacific Exploration & Production: McCarthy Tétrault advised O’Hara Administration Co., the largest shareholder of Pacific Exploration & Production Corporation, in Pacific's CCAA proceedings.
About McCarthy Tétrault
McCarthy Tétrault LLP provides a broad range of legal services, advising on large and complex assignments for Canadian and international interests. The firm has substantial presence in Canada’s major commercial centres as well as in New York City and London, UK.
Built on an integrated approach to the practice of law and delivery of innovative client services, the firm brings its legal talent, industry insight and practice experience to help clients achieve the results that are important to them.
— 30 —