McCarthy Tétrault congratulates its Canadian Dealmaker award-winning clients
Toronto, February 28, 2014 — McCarthy Tétrault is pleased to announce that at the 2014 Canadian Dealmakers gala last night in Toronto, its clients were honoured with eight awards. The awards honour companies and individuals whose 2013 transactions contributed significantly to the M&A marketplace in 2013 through innovation and growth, establishment of best practices, enhancement of customer needs and products, and creation of value.
McCarthy Tétrault partners Frédéric Cotnoir, Douglas Cannon, Clemens Mayr, James Pasieka, Sony Gill, Robert Hansen and Joel Scoler were the firm’s team leads on the winning transactions (the firm’s representations are in bold):
- Media and Telecommunications — BCE’s C$3.38 billion acquisition of Astral Media
- Materials — First Quantum Minerals’ C$2.5 billion financing for its C$5.1 billion acquisition of Inmet Mining
- Consumer Business — Sobeys and Empire Company’s C$5.8 billion acquisition of Canada Safeway
- IPO — Bombardier Recreational Products’ C$301.5 million initial public offering; BMO Nesbitt Burns and RBC Dominion Securities co-led the underwriting syndicate
- Foreign Outbound — Global. Petrominerales and its spinoff Alvopetro Energy’s C$1.6 billion sale to Pacific Rubiales Energy.
FP Data Group named this Canada’s top oil & gas deal.
- Energy —Spartan Oil’s C$480 million sale to Bonterra Energy
Spartan Oil has a significant position in two of western Canada’s biggest oil resources.
- Financials —GE Capital’s C$570 million sale of its Canadian fleet portfolio to Element Financial
This was a highly profiled US-Canada deal.
- Global Expansion Private Equity Capital Raise — Bain Capital’s acquisition of Canada Goose; CIBC was the lender
This was another highly profiled US-Canada deal.
Bell is Canada’s largest communications company and Astral is one of the country’s largest media companies.
The deal created a leading and growing copper producer.
The deal made Sobeys Canada’s second-largest grocer.
Lexpert called this the year’s "best-performing IPO."
McCarthy Tétrault's Public M&A Group is known for its quality of advice, having represented Canadian and international clients on many of Canada’s largest and highest-profile M&A transactions. The firm is a recognized leader in financial services, power, technology, retail, mining and oil & gas transactions, with multi-jurisdictional expertise in all the areas critical to M&A transactions, including competition, tax, securities and litigation.
The firm’s capital market practitioners advise Canadian and international clients on a wide range of domestic, cross-border and global capital raising transactions. Its lawyers provide sophisticated and innovative solutions to structured securities offerings, regulatory compliance, corporate governance and disclosure issues.
The Canadian Dealmaker awards are jointly organized by Deloitte, The Globe and Mail, Lexpert and Thomson Reuters, and will be published in the March issue of Lexpert. For more information, visit Canadian Dealmakers Awards.
About McCarthy Tétrault
McCarthy Tétrault LLP provides a broad range of legal services, advising on large and complex assignments for Canadian and international interests. The firm has substantial presence in Canada’s major commercial centres and in London, UK.
Built on an integrated approach to the practice of law and delivery of innovative client services, the firm brings its legal talent, industry insight and practice experience to help clients achieve the results that are important to them.