McCarthy Tétrault Advises on Canada’s Top Business Deals of 2019
Combining business acumen and industry expertise, McCarthy Tétrault is proud to be included in Lexpert’s Top Ten Deals of 2019 in the Special Edition on Finance and M&A. The Firm acted on five of the Top 10 Deals and received seven Honourable Mentions. In total, McCarthy Tétrault advised on 12 of the 23 deals mentioned in the publication, spanning key industry segments including cannabis, mining, finance, private equity, technology, transportation, and energy.
The Firm’s work demonstrates our ongoing commitment to deliver superior results for our clients and drive economic growth in Canada.
In the Top 10 Deals, McCarthy Tétrault Acted For:
- CIBC in connection with Air Canada's acquisition of the Aeroplan rewards program from Aimia Inc. – led by David Woollcombe
- The Bank of Nova Scotia, Bank of Montreal, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, National Bank of Canada, Royal Bank of Canada and The Toronto-Dominion Bank as financial advisors in Brookfield's acquisition of Genworth – led by Richard Higa
- Greenhill & Co. Canada Ltd. as financial advisor to Canopy Growth in its acquisition of US-based Acreage Holdings Inc. for US$3.7 billion – led by Robert Richardson
- The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada in the closing of a secured credit facility to First Nation LP in order to finance its equity interest in Wataynikaneyap Power LP – led by Lynn Parsons and Stephen Furlan
- Detour Gold in its proxy battle with Paulson & Co. – led by Shea Small
In the Honourable Mentions, McCarthy Tétrault Acted For:
- CIBC and a syndicate of lenders in finalizing a credit agreement with Cogeco Communications, pursuant to the C$720 million sale of Cogeco Peer 1 – led by Mathieu Dubord
- Rhône Capital, as seller, in BC Partners' acquisition of a C$5.2 billion majority interest in GardaWorld – led by Clemens Mayr
- The members of the senior executive management team of Knowlton Development Corporation in the sale of all of its issued and outstanding shares to a group of investors led by Cornell Capital LLC – led by Patrick Shea
- Enbridge, as regulatory and real property counsel in its C$4.31 billion sale of its Western Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners – led by Robin Sirett
- Scotia Capital in its capacity as exclusive financial advisor to Aphria Inc. and its special committee of directors in responding to an unsolicited takeover bid by Green Growth Brands – led by Robert Richardson
- A consortium including TD Greystone Asset Management and IST3 Investment Foundation in the C$1.7 billion agreement to acquire up to a 100 per cent of Alberta PowerLine from Canadian Utilities Limited and Quanta Services Inc. – led by Jonathan See and Scott Bergen
- OMERS Infrastructure in its proposed bid to acquire a 10.01% stake in 407 International from SNC-Lavalin – led by David Lever and Matthew Cumming
About McCarthy Tétrault
McCarthy Tétrault LLP provides a broad range of legal services, advising on large and complex assignments for Canadian and international interests. The firm has substantial presence in Canada’s major commercial centres as well as in New York City and London, UK.
Built on an integrated approach to the practice of law and delivery of innovative client services, the firm brings its legal talent, industry insight and practice experience to help clients achieve the results that are important to them.
– 30 –
For further information, or to request an interview with a McCarthy Tétrault lawyer, please contact: